Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UGH how many more will I have to buy?

My husband had to put his cat to sleep back in July (right after my husband's birthday). In August we went and he picked out a kitten from a local rescue. Brought him home he is CRAZY. ok fine I can deal with this. Then one day the babys pacifier was GONE! the cat had ate it. Then nipples started missing out of the cabinet. then the baby would wake me up in the middle of the night to eat, I would search for the "bink" so he could have it while I was fixing a bottle. and it would be GONE again.

To cut the story short the cat steals the pacifiers from the baby and bites the nipple off of them. Then just leaves both pieces in the floor. I have even went so far as to get the binky leash the cat will still get up next to Liam (the baby) and chew the nipple off. Pacifiers are 3.97 for TWO and we go through about 3-5 a WEEK! not counting bottle nipples that he eats! Which I pay 3.98 for two of those. I fixed him of the bottle nipples I now wash them and they go in the fridge!

I know so many pets get stuck in rescue and the pound for stuff like this and I don't want to do that to this kitten that WE CHOSE! But good grief i can't afford this!. and on top of it here I am sicker than a dog and the baby starts crying. I go check on him and he is crying because he (the cat) got in the bedroom and stole the pacifer out of the babys mouth! Now I either wait till 12 (midnight) when my husband get off work, or load all three kids up and go to walmart for binks! (I am going to try waiting since i have one in bed already!)

Has anyone ever dealt with this and how did you stop it?

and NO I can not take the pacifier away from the baby as much as I would like to he has a case of reflux and the pacifier helps keep everything DOWN!!!

Banned
    does the cat take them out of the babys mouth???? If so I would give the cat away asap before it harms the baby!

Power Poster
    That is a unique problem. Hope someone can help you solve it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe leave a few cheap nipples around with some nasty tasting stuff on them? Nothing that would hurt kitty, just discourage him from wanting them.

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Tabasco sauce on some for him to find... he'll do it once or twice and learn.

Blog Entries
    have you asked a vet for advice?

this is a stab in the dark ... a truly wild guess ... maybe the kitten was weaned too soon and is pursuing some instinctive need to suckle.

OK.. I'm not a Vet or an animal psychologist, but here goes. I have one cat who would, I swear, climb mount Everest to get hold of a (real) rubber band and chew it up and eat it. She also eats thread... yep that's a pain, and a few other types of plastic bits, so we have to be VERY careful of them as some can be quite harmful.. I don't think it's the suckling thing because of the difference in nipple sizes.. (honestly, ever look at a cat's nipple?) I think it's the material.. our other cat can ferret out one of those "wrapped" elastics for ponytails from across the room.. he doesn't eat them, just plays with them and steals them.I don't know what you do about it.. but be careful if you use some food substance on them as garlic, onion and that sort of thing are not good for cats, and can be fatal.

Get rid of the cat, it is not worth it to have it in the same room with the baby. Marge

could you just shut baby's door so the cat can't get in? Our cat has a thing for those foam earplugs, Will search out DH hiding spot and get them every time.

I have know clue but maybe a bunch of toys or like your doing lock them up.

I would soak some cheap ones with vinegar and lemon,,,..Get kitty a brother or sister the same age.....its amazing how their behavior changes...they sort of ignore people and become busy with each other. I have to snatch a kitty to get attention from mine

Blog Entries
    give the kitten some of the plastic tops to milk bottles. not the part you pull off. they can eat pieces off and that's not good. but for some reason the kitten is craving plastic or rubber.
    give it lots of toys to play with and keep it out of the baby's room while so young. it's not the kittens fault, it's a baby too.

I truly hope you find a solution, but if any animal took a pacifier away from my baby it would be out of my house in a hearbeat. I remember when I was young that the ladies would talk about keeping cats and kittens away from young babies as they could suck the breath out of them. It was the smell of the milk that attracted the cats. I hope that is just an old wives tale but I do remember that cats weren't anywhere around when there was a baby present. Good luck.

Please, please call your vet and ask for advice. The kitten doesn't realize he's doing anything wrong (he's just a baby, too).

Crate the kitten so it can't get into the baby's room/crib.

Do hope you can find a solution short of getting rid of the cat. Perhaps it is just a phase the kitten is going through. :lol:

I would find the cat a new home -- wouldn't want it close enough to the baby to steal his pacifier.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So??? What happened? Do you still have a cat? Did you buy stock in the binky factory?

My cat also has a thing for rubber stuff and we have to keep rubber bands put away, we have seen them hanging out the other end with a 'small decoration' on them.
    I would probably isolate the cat from the baby, we had a cat we had to put in the basement every night when it was small. But Oh I would not be able to live without the Binky!
    And it is not physically possible for a cat to suck the air out of a baby, that is why they have to lap up drinks, they don't have a mouth that works that way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    Get rid of the cat, it is not worth it to have it in the same room with the baby.
    That's harsh! Why not restrict the cat's movement in the house. (Can you tell that my loyalty is more to the 4-legged kids?)

hi we have had cats that loved the rubber ear plugs. rubberbands and we still have a 18 years cat that will lick the plastic bags for hours. When they were little we just let them have thier own ear plugs they outgrew it.As for the baby just don't leave kitty in the room alone with it instead use a baby monitor when he or she sleeps. you can monitor the baby no matter what room you are in and is safe. Soon both will outgrow the problem. We were told they like that kind of thing because they use lard when they are making the poduct yum yum to kitties.

Blog Entries
    The only thing the kitten could do that would harm the baby other then scratch is licking the baby on the mouth could give the baby worms if the kitten had any. I would make sure the kitten is not in the room with the baby. It's not the kitten's fault, he's a baby too.

I just saw this thread and am also wondering how you resolved the problem. Poor kitty, poor baby, poor mom! I wouldn't like the kitty getting so close to the baby either, but I also hate to see you get rid of it. But poor baby, having all his pacifiers chewed up. Wait, I just reread what you wrote. It's not a kitten, is it; is it an adult cat that you rescued? Hmmm...I don't know. Maybe if it's an adult cat it should be in a home without a baby. Especially since your little Liam really can't do without his binkies. Please let us know what happened.

Power Poster
    teach the baby to suck his thumb or fingers

I have never had a cat that stole pacificers ~ but how old is the baby? Is it dangerous to have the cut sleeping with/near him? I was reading this thinking the kitten might be jealous of the care the baby gets? I agree with everyone else that has said if the baby's saftey is at risk you might want to find a new home for the cat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast