Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Give away your UFO's ! >

Give away your UFO's !

Give away your UFO's !

Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Last year I donated all my unfinished quilt tops to a charity. The ladies there finished them and gave them away. They posted some pictures of people who had received quilts they had finished and it was really nice to see someone enjoying what I had pieced together but but never quilted that had been sitting in my closet for years. I'm sure glad I did that. I guess if the truth were known, I should be called a "piecer" not a "quilter" as I really love the piecing, but everything comes to a screeching halt when I need to do the quilting. I am getting somewhat better about it though.
I love your avatar. IS that one a UFO I just might take it off your hands if it is. :D Just want to help... :-D
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
Originally Posted by booklady
Originally Posted by marybs
Originally Posted by LeeAnn
Times are lean for many of us. I think we should stop hording our unloved UFO's and pass them on to quilters who would cherish them and enjoy finishing them. I have never been able to throw out my unfinished work even though I know I will not complete it. It would do my heart good to know someone else would find joy in it.

Let's dig out our incompletes and share with our friends. Think of how great it would be to see your quilt finally complete and think of the joy it would bring someone else.

What are your ideas and thoughts?
16 going on 17 next week. Very much a UFO, maybe a WIP on good days. Got a kick out of this little thread. Also have a 14 year old she is a keeper though, does a really good job at cleaning the kitchen.

My youngest turns 18 today!!! Is he still an UFO? Some days I do cherish him and yet others......
I think I could share him....
Right now I'd be willing to mark my 19year old daughter as a UFO and trade! Lord help me!
When my son was in his late teens, I was told not to worry because they become human again when they turn 20. Sure enough shortly after turning 20 the miracle happened!!! LOL!
:-D
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Originally Posted by JudyG
Last year I donated all my unfinished quilt tops to a charity. The ladies there finished them and gave them away. They posted some pictures of people who had received quilts they had finished and it was really nice to see someone enjoying what I had pieced together but but never quilted that had been sitting in my closet for years. I'm sure glad I did that. I guess if the truth were known, I should be called a "piecer" not a "quilter" as I really love the piecing, but everything comes to a screeching halt when I need to do the quilting. I am getting somewhat better about it though.

I love your avatar. IS that one a UFO I just might take it off your hands if it is. :D Just want to help... :-D
Nope, that one is on my bed and I enjoy it every day. Sorry.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM

I'm with you Tiffany. The only reason I have UFO is because I started something, block of the month then dent to a quilt class,starting another project and maybe already working on completing something else. I usually have a few things going at once. Right now I will have to drop all the other projects as I want to finish appliquing a book for our Vicar's new baby before he returns to the seminary. That is why I get so many UFO's.
My sis has one she began 25 years ago. I now have that too, trying to get that done for her to enjoy while she is still with us. Part of that was stolen by robbers who broke into her home years ago and wrapped all her Hummel's in the fabric and hauled it away. So it may end up as a lap quilt.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:26 PM

When I decided to try applique, I chose patterns for queen size quilts (big mistake) and completed 3 tops, going against my self-imposed rule to never start a new quilt until the last stitch on the label of my previous one was done. I knew I was going to make a trip to the States, so I just packed them in my suitcase and brought them to a LQS in the town my sister lives (which I now live!) and had them machine quilted. I gave them away, one to my sister, one to her youngest daughter in high school (her oldest got one for graduation already) and one to her son and his wife. It cost a fortune, but got me back on track for adhering to my rule of one-at-a-time. It has been a few years now, and feel a bit guilty because with the exception of my nieces, I really didn't like the other two and gave them away anyway! I wish I would have thought to just donate them!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Times are lean for many of us. I think we should stop hording our unloved UFO's and pass them on to quilters who would cherish them and enjoy finishing them. I have never been able to throw out my unfinished work even though I know I will not complete it. It would do my heart good to know someone else would find joy in it.

Let's dig out our incompletes and share with our friends. Think of how great it would be to see your quilt finally complete and think of the joy it would bring someone else.

Whaaaaa, would feel like giving away the kids. LOL
Old 06-27-2010, 07:44 PM

I think this is a great idea. I like to finish quilts that have been started. It's fun to figure out why they weren't finished!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Even though I may not be currently working on my UFO, I will eventually and would feel unproductive if I just handed them off to be finished by someone else even though I know it is a great thought.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Originally Posted by kd124
Originally Posted by booklady
Originally Posted by marybs

16 going on 17 next week. Very much a UFO, maybe a WIP on good days. Got a kick out of this little thread. Also have a 14 year old she is a keeper though, does a really good job at cleaning the kitchen.

My youngest turns 18 today!!! Is he still an UFO? Some days I do cherish him and yet others......
I think I could share him....
Right now I'd be willing to mark my 19year old daughter as a UFO and trade! Lord help me!
When my son was in his late teens, I was told not to worry because they become human again when they turn 20. Sure enough shortly after turning 20 the miracle happened!!! LOL!
:-D
LOL!! :lol: My girls are turning 6 and 8 this summer, definitely WIPs but some days it feels like UFOs. My oldest has always been dainty and my youngest a tomboy but lately the oldest has been into basketball and skateboarding and less dresses while my youngest has been doing all the same, crazy stunts but in pretty princess dresses! I'm not sure when this transformation took place. But they both still love to sew! :)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:02 AM

These blocks have to be 12 years old...back in the day when I bought the cheapest fabric I could find, and had a clunker sewing machine. They don't look too bad at a distance, but the machine applique is terrible!

If your team's colors are orange & black, first one to PM me is the lucky winner!! LOL

will include some extra plaid fabric also
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85715[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85710.jpe