Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does Everyone in this group..... >

Does Everyone in this group.....

Does Everyone in this group.....

Old 07-15-2010, 04:57 AM

No longarm for me! There is no space in our home. So do regular machine quilting unless the item is big. Then, off to a quilter! It's spendy, but not nearly as much as a longarm. Besides, I really don't like handling all that fabric. Guess I'm a piecer at heart.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 AM

I use my Juki, love it!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by rexie
own a longarm machine or are you doing all of that beautiful quilting on your regular sewing machine? My machine is old enough that is doesn't let down the feed-dogs for free motion anything, so I was just wondering if you all have longarms.
I have a singer and use that. Works for me until I can get one that will free motion quilt. Long arms are ssooo far from my budget that I am looking into the 3060's in order to get one.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 AM

I don't own a long arm yet but would love to. I have three sewing machines, a really old Viking from the early 70's, some no-name brand a friend gave me when she moved its really basic, and a new Singer Futura 250. I have quilted on these machines but ONLY small quilts such as wall hangings. I didn't care for the quality of the quilting on larger quilts. I did find a quilt frame I could use on my sewing machine. It has rollers under the frame. The draw backs however is the quilting space is only about 4 inches, and because I don't have a stitch regulator on my sewing machine my stitches could come out really short or really long if I got distracted - which is really easy when you have young children and a dog running around the house.
SO, on my bigger quilts I send them to a quilter here in town and pay her/him to quilt them for me. Your local quilt store may have a list of people who do this for a living. I took a king sized quilt to one lady including batting, and trimming it was about $150, I took another quilt an over sized lap quilt 60x72 and it was $53. When I get them back I finish them with the binding and they are awesome. I would really like to own a long arm and do it myself - someday...
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 AM

No long arm here either. Would love to have one but the price and lack of space leaves it in my "When I win the lottery" dream. Also not sure I would have enough brains to learn to run it before I die !!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 AM

That's a lot of fabric money :roll:
Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

No I have no long arm yet. Currently I use a Janome 6500 to free motion and that has an extended bed. It is a crunch but I push everything through it including calking sized quilts. Roll thight and then reroll and do blocks at a time. The border you can go all the way around as long as you posisting the bulk away from the arm of the machine.

I am sure there is a way for you to cover the feed dogs and use your current machine. Maybe some one on the board can help you. I think you can tape template plastic over it and punch a hole for the needle but I haven't done it yet. I say yet because I am looking at something similar for my antique machines. Sometimes you can find an after market cover plate.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 AM

Just a regular machine, a Janome 11543. I doubt I will ever get a Longarm, they cost almost as much a car.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 AM

I have a longarm (w/stitch regulator, etc). I do love it. It's really fun. I never thought I would like anything more than piecing...but I was so wrong!

Before that, I quilted on my Singer. An over-sized king size convinced me I needed a LA. But I had to do a lot more quilting on the Singer before I decided to spend the money. Now, I'd rather quilt than piece :)

On the Singer, I used the scrunch method once my stabilizing was done. First I stabilized, using whatever method I desired (pins, water soluble thread, straight lines, etc.) and then scrunched around for the more detailed designs. Hope this helps!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 AM

no longarm. saved the $$$, but then decided there was no where to put it. just use my janome.