Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cell Phone Use and Driving? >

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Cell Phone Use and Driving?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM

Our state is hands free, but the law states that if you're using the phone for talking to your office it's allowed and the cops are exempted. They do have the bluetooth, but they are allowed to talk with the phone to their ears if needed.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:55 AM

I have a landline (and even a WIRED phone!) and an answering machine. I do have a pre-paid type cell in the glove box of my car, but I only charge it up & add minutes if I'm going to be on a trip. Even then, I don't leave it turned on in the car, it's for "just in case".
One of my friends kept "threatening" that she was going to get me a cell phone, until she realized I still wouldn't keep it "on"! I just don't feel the need to be that connected. I can wait until I get to work or get home to talk on the phone. And I would much rather TALK to someone on the phone than text them.
I can't imagine trying to text & drive - I don't even drink a soda while driving, and rarely even snitch a french fry out of the bag on the way either.
Safety first!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Both cell phone use (unless you have an ear phone device) and texting is banned in CA but that doesn't seem to make an impression on anyone since you still see people doing it all the time.

My DH and I were approaching a green light one day when we saw a gal come from the side street, whiz right through the red light on her end, make a left turn right in front of us while she was busily chatting away on her cell phone. If we had approached that intersection a few seconds earlier.......
Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 PM

I've had a cell phone, since they were called car phones. And attached to the car. But I hate to see anyone on the phone, or especially texting. If it's so important that you need to call someone, then pull over. Who ever is calling can leave a message. I don't want to die because someone is just killing time. My son is a deputy sheriff in CA, and I don't know if he can use his cell while on duty, but I know he won't use it when off duty. I'm not sure what our state law is. I don't think it is mandatory yet. But I truly believe it should be. There are already so many bad drivers out there that we don't need help getting into accidents. This is one of my BIG PET PEEVES, because I only have one leg, and if someone rearends me, my wheelchair is in the back of the car, so I'd be stuck in the car. What if it catches on fire, and I can't get out. Just not worth a phone call. The time to use the phone is not in the car. Parking in Handicapped parking is my other pet peeve. And that could start a whole new thread!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM

I live on the Illinois side across from St. Louis. Texting is NOT allowed since the first of the year...and....it is illegal to use the cellphone in a construction zone.

Theres alot of highway construction going on in my area and they have installed cameras along the work areas for speeders and cellphone users. Is it worth it? NO! The call can wait.
I make it an policy NOT to be on the phone while I am trying to concentrate on my driving and where I am going. I do wish they would make it illegal to be on the phone while driving here.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:04 PM

If I have a call while driving, I just let it go to VM. Then call back later. I know my phone is blue tooth capable but I have no idea of how it works. I consider myself lucky when I remember to take it off the charger at home and put it back in my purse :lol: :lol:
Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 PM

No cell phone or texting here either without hands free....and I don't care to do hands free still distracing...
Let it ring, Let it ring, Let it ring, more chance of getting to your next Christmas, not like we've always had them, and then folks still couldn't drive well, good thing the cars are getting safer.
Did have a funnie happen with this the other day, a young person I know was pulled over on the side of the road, I turned around to see if he was OK not broken down, and nope, just on the phone...... nice to see he was listening !!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I too have been rear ended by someone on her phone; and just yesterday some guy took the corner to wide while on the phone and just missed hitting me on the drivers side.

No texting went into effect yesterday. Lets see how that gets enforced.
i have high hopes, but..i have doubts it will be, because the kids will just keep texting below the window level... i got rearended last year by an illegal immegrant (SP) who had no license, because she had already had a couple accidents. she got out of the car and told me it wasn't her fault, she was busy on the phone!....

have you seen the billboards that look like shattered glass and have a big OMG on it...under the omg, it says texting can be deadly...
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tussymussy
Here in the UK we have had to wear seat belts and not use our cell (mobile) phones when driving for a long time. It is law. However, daily we see many reckless people still using their cell phone while driving.

This is incredibly dangerous. Whilst using a cell phone your total attention is not on the road. Just imaging how the person concerned would feel if they injured or killed someone by their lawbreaking.

My cell phone is always off when I am driving or doing something that could be dangerous if I was to be distracted by the cell phone.

I am probably a bit of a dinosaur where they are concerned. Yes, they have uses when I am out and about but I do not want to tell the world my life history and personal business during that time as others can overhear. One example of this made me laugh.

On a commuter train (in a quiet, no cell phone area) a lady took and made several phone calls. During these she gave the other person a huge number of personal details. Someone else on the train took down all these details and sent her a text saying: I know your name, your address, your date of birth, the names of your husband and children, where you work, how much you earn, where you bank, how much you have on deposit plus other details.

Not one bit alarmed or embarrassed, she stood up and loudly asked "Who did that?!" She was inconsiderate to other travellers and rude but not only that was insensitive that she had breached her own privacy.

I think this is a very salutary tale about using cell phones.

What do you think?

roflmbo.....i love that.. why do people think anyone is that interested in thier lives... ?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Rhonda
My DH has been telling me he saw in the news that the state of Iowa is going to ban all cell phone use while driving. I went online and all I can find is that Iowa has banned all texting while driving. Anyone know anything about this?

Any comments on your feelings about cell phones used while driving are more than welcome. I don't usually do it. I usually stop and use the phone. It annoys me to have to answer the phone while driving as I feel like I am juggling to do it. But my
DD lives on her phone with 3 kids with medical issues and one of them is her autistic son. She can only be reached on her phone. She is always on the go. So it would be a hardship for her.
Personally feel that using a cell phone while driving is the same as drinking coffee while driving and eating a sandwich while driving.

It depends on your skill level. Beyond Drivers ed, hardly anyone uses the 10 and 2 position anyway.
Will you attitude change if you were hit by a person eating a sandwich or drinking coffee and texting at the same time?

Skill level has nothing to do with it. It is the distraction factor, and not keeping your eyes and mind on driving.
Oh please

No my attitude would not change. It is skill level. You are just as distracted by eating, drinking and fiddling with the radio. They did the same study with those things and found out that yes you do drive worse then people drunk.

If your on a highway, not bumper to bumper, it would be fine to talk on the phone. If your on a country lane, where you only had to worry about rampaging cows, fine as well.

It's called thinking about it.

Btw, I've had friends call me at night on their cellphones while their driving. They did it to be safer. It kept them from falling asleep to the hypnotic sound of the wheels.

You are never going to have perfect driving conditions, what is distracting to one person isn't distracting to another. For instance I find total silence to be annoying as all get out and need some music to help me concentrate while I drive. If I'm in a stressful situation I can't listen to hard rock, and need something quieter.

And what makes hands free so much better then having the cell phone in your hand? Your just as distracted by the conversation. You just have one more hand.
one more hand can be the difference btwn controlling your 6000 lb weapon, or losing control and killing someone... just one more hand..