Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrible Quilting Class >

Horrible Quilting Class

Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 AM

This was a great thread and once again, I learned so much. If I EVER have to teach others about something I know, I will take to heart all your suggestions. The day my friend recommended this board to me is one of the best things she has ever done for me. Thanks to all of you who help to make it great.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Does your local Board of Ed run Adult Education classes? That's where I took my first class. It's really a big help.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM

My class fee included the book. I've found it to be a handy resource. We didn't use the book in class, but it sure came in handy when we did our homework. I used one of the patterns in there for my next quilt, but have used this site or my imagination for the rest of them.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

I took a "class" that was supposed to be about quilting tips and a trunk show. Instead, it was a 2 hour session of her showing quilts and telling us which of her template packs was used to make the quilt.

I will NEVER take a class at that quilt shop again, and I will also NEVER buy any of this woman's templates.

It was a total waste of my time and money.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM

That's kinda pathetic that hardly anyone knew how to thread their own machine. We have a small quilt shop here in town that does classes every now and then. Never taken one of her classes, but I know one of her requirements for the class is to know how to use your machine before class. The teacher doesn't have time to teach how to thread a sewing machine and may not even have the knowledge of how your machine works.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM

I had my eyes opened this weekend. Since I grew up sewing garments since age 8, I just 'assumed' that all the quilters out there knew the 'sewing basics' too. Not true.
Saturday I was at an all day quilting event at a local Inn.
There were two weddings being held there. Around suppertime a gentleman (wedding guest) and his young daughter (about 10) found our room and explained that his daughter's dress had torn, and asked if anyone could help by fixing it. No one said anything, they just looked around at each other. I was aghast, thinking that I was a newbie, and I was in the far corner of the room, that one of the 30 more "senior" quilters would step up. Not so. So I called her over. All it was that the shoulder straps had pulled out of the seam of the bodice. 10 minute fix, and I even had matching ivory thread in my kit. The dad was happy, the girl was ecstatic, and I was wiser.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

tjradj, how kind of you to rescue the girl with the torn dress. I think I might have been one of the ladies with the blank stares, though I hope I would have at least looked to see if it was something I could fix. I did sew clothing when I was younger, but mending something after it breaks is often much harder than starting from a pattern. My daughter (who couldn't take the time to learn to sew) recently asked if I could repair two items of clothing, and I must say it was only my love for my daughter that pushed me to accept the assignment.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM

Julianna, This is the very reason I am part of this quilting board. I was in a quilting class full of rich snobs and I hate to say this but they had nothing to do with me because of my skin color. I am not kidding and I am not in the habit of using the race car. I payed my money and they totally ignored me and I knew I was not welcomed there at all. It was ridiculous how the women treated me as if my money wasn't good enough. I love the Lord and all I can do is pray for them. I feel welcomed here and have learned a million more things that I learned there. I stayed just because I was desparate to learn quilting. I happy to have found all of you. Blessings
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM

[quote=tjradj]I had my eyes opened this weekend. Since I grew up sewing garments since age 8, I just 'assumed' that all the quilters out there knew the 'sewing basics' too. Not true.

I think there's a big difference between "sewing" and "quilting". I'm not a very good "sewer" although in a situation like that I would have tried to do something.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM

[quote=georgia]Julianna, This is the very reason I am part of this quilting board. I was in a quilting class full of rich snobs and I hate to say this but they had nothing to do with me because of my skin color.

Some people are just ignorant.