Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a price limit? >

Do you have a price limit?

Do you have a price limit?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 AM

I love a bargain as much as anybody. What I don't like is working with poor quality fabrics and supplies. My time is the most valuable thing I put into a quilt. So if I can only afford small pieces of a good fabric I would rather have that than large bits of crapy fabric. I can make a minature if all I have is snippets. I have paid over $20 for a yard something I just loved, of course I can't yet bring my self to cut into it.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 AM

Because we are retired we tend to watch our pennies. I use the 40% and 50% off coupons 95% of the time I shop from several quilting shops. We have a shop here that sells all it's great quilting fabric for $6.95 a yard...and there are 1500 bolts to choose from. It is iffy with Joann's at times, quality and coupons. When I want to buy, the quilting fabric, most of the time, it is already on sale but with a small percentage off so I can not use my coupon for fabric. I shop thrift stores, and I recently showed the fabric I gleaned from shopping Penney's sale rack for cotton curtains and got 10 yards of fabric from 2 prs. of curtains and a bed skirt, already coordinated and they are great quality. But...if I found a fabric that I just could not do without, I might go overboard a little from the norm.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 AM

I'm very new to this, but I have mainly made purchases in the 8-9 dollar range before shipping (shipping stinks!!). I do not have a local shop. I'd love a better deal, but I usually want a few coordinating fabrics and often it's hard to find if the line is "old" enough to be on sale. Then, shopping from multiple places would make shipping unreal. I really love a lot of variety, so I favor shops that will make cuts of less than a half-yard. I see that your shop does that!! I will have to check it out...after Christmas!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 AM

I'm a tad spoiled as my husband and I regularly go to Pennsylvannia and Zaks once a year. (with a list) Here in Canada I will not pay more than $10/metre and really only if I need a fatquarter or to finish something. I often find it cheaper to shop from the states online even with the mail and exchange rates. Our Govn't puts such crazy import duties on stuff here
Mary in Guelph
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 AM

Usually I balk at anything over $9 and I try to stay between $5 and $6; however if it is a pattern that "calls" to me I will usually find a way to rationalize the purchase. If I have a particular project in mind then I "bite the bullet."

Your prices are very competitive and appreciated.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 AM

I have bought fabric at $10 a yard. I would have a really hard time going higher than that, right now.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM

I hate to pay as much as $10.00/yd. and normally buy only on-sale fabric. Except for a need for more yardage on which to machine embroider theme quilts, I have enough stash to last for years. One time, only, I bought all the fabric for a specific quilt that I wanted to make. I do like that quilt top and have usable leftover fabric, but the total cost was very high and I hope not to do that again. With quilting just my hobby, I can't justify spending that much money on one quilt.

FYI, I am more impressed with Favorite Fabrics than any of the other on-line "catalogs". Your website is very well thought out, very easy to navigate even for a dummy like me, and the fabric variety is fabulous.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 AM

I have mostly quilt shop fabric for sale, I like to get the best fabric because the quality is better, a lot of time goes into making a quilt and I want it to last . $6.00 and up
is what I will sell it for, if I'm selling
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I am an avid fabri-holic, but I do wait until it's on sale. I can't bring myself to spend $12.99 a yard for something. I love the 'chase' for a good price as well as finding the perfect fabric. I love Clothilde and Keepsake Quilting. I read about Fabric.com here on another thread, so I'm going to go check it out.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I was just thinking - fat quarters are from $1.29 up to, and I have paid, $2.50, which makes it $5.00 to $10.00 a yard. One doesn't think too much buying a fat quarter, but buying a yard of fabric for $10.00 is just ridiculous. Au Contraire - You just bought four fat quarters - how much was that? Five to Ten dollars. So if I see a yard of fabric that I really want, I'll just skip four fat quarters. That wasn't hard now. I can get the fat quarters another time.

If the fabric is so important to you, for whatever reason, and you CAN afford it, get it. It may be your only chance. It may not be at the LQS or JAF (JoAnn Fab) the next time you are there. I paid $8.99 a yard for 11 yards of material - three different fabrics for a quilt. I just may not have enough. I was green enough not to think there would be waste or that I could work myself silly and not get a block to come together and have to deep six the block. That is a fat quarter right there. I have 12 blocks made and 36 to go - 12" blocks.

I have a call into the quilt shop which is about 350 miles away and I just may have to order either from someplace else or make the quilt smaller which I do not want to do, unless I make a humungous border and I don't want to do that because then I will always see "Dummy, you didn't buy enough material." And it is something I should have known. Edie
Edie,
Did you post the fabric you need here to make sure one of us can't help you? After seeing this board in action, it seems impossible that there is any fabric that we can't lay our hands on if it exists.