Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party? >

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM

For the Northern Lights Quilt Guild near the Turtle Mountains of North Dakota. Ours was planned during our Dec meeting, which is the first thursday of the month.

We had a couple things that we started this last couple of years while I was president, one was UFO challenge. We started in January and we complete as many items of UFO's, PHD's or WIP. Then by the end of November, they are totaled up and the Queen of UFO's is chosen and then the next 2 places are drawn out of a hat for her "princesses". This year, our secretary/newletter chairman, her and her husband made wooden crowns that can sit on your shelf with the glued on rubies, diamonds and crystals and such. Just way to cute. I just happen to be "princess #2. I got 14 UFO items completely done and the Queen, got 21 items done. I had 3 King size quilts on my list.

The other new item we did this year was had a "secret quilting pal" Through out the year, we would send various gifts and trinkets and such to our secret pal. The Secret Pal" reveal was also done at our christmas party. But before you could open your christmas present from the secret pal, you had to guess whom it was....if you didn't guess, then you put a quarter in the coin can and it moved to the next person. They had a blast with this.

We also did an ornament exchange between each other and it was "one for one" and most were hand made this year.

We meet at the LQS in their back "classroom" area at 6pm for finger foods and desserts, then at 7pm we had a short meeting to finish up the year and then did our Christmas party.

This was my last meeting with them, fore then I was finally leaving to live at our new house on the Prairies of the Dakota's.

I have been invited to attend the Prairie Quilters Christmas party in January. They do it then, because everyone is "sew" busy in December. So I will give an update on how they do things. I am just tickled to get an "invite" to attend. Need to bring an "ornament" for exchange and a finger food.

We "quilters know how to party"...
Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks for sharing - it sounds good fun!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM

OMG - that sounds like so much fun. I wonder how you could change the story for a mid year thing. We just did a pattern exchange and put them all in a sack and then drew one. This would be much more fun!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
Ours was postponed from last week to next month because of the bad weather (LOTS of snow!!) we've had :)
The same thing happened with us. Unfortunately I will not be here when the group has the party next week. We will be traveling south for a few weeks.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Our QG has a Christmas Potluck and gift exchange. The gift has to be hand made, no food items, and wrapped in brown paper. One member has their number called, she picks a gift and places it in plain sight. It is not unwrapped. The following members can either choose off the table or steal a gift already chosen, as their numbers are called. This continues until there are no more gifts on the table. We play a couple of games for small door prizes. Its a lot of fun and the gifts are greatly admired. Bea Cda
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Hey, mm, I'm in Texas, also. We do the right/left story at three different sewing groups and the one you wrote is delightfully different. I copied it and saved it for next year.

I certainly appreciate your generosity sharing it, but I want your permission to use it since it is clear to me that it could easily be copyrighted and sold.

Merry Christmas,
froggyintexas
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Hey, mm, I'm in Texas, also. We do the right/left story at three different sewing groups and the one you wrote is delightfully different. I copied it and saved it for next year.

I certainly appreciate your generosity sharing it, but I want your permission to use it since it is clear to me that it could easily be copyrighted and sold.

Merry Christmas,
froggyintexas
Froggy, You certainly have my permission. I've decided that since the only people interested would be quilters, I'd be happy to know it was used by other groups or guilds. I'm flattered, in fact! Mary mm
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Go right ahead. One of our games this year was "Guess how many 1 1/2 inch squares were in the jar" Would you believe there was over 700 squares! It was a blast, way too much great food. Bea Cda
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 PM

I love that story!! Nice Job making it a quilting story!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 AM

How cute! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to have fun with this one!!

Merry Christmas All!!