Rice Bags

Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 PM

I used the swimming pool "noodles" for the draft stoppers. It works great! My MIL used sand in her heating packs. She could put it in the microwave or in a pot of boiling water depending on if she needed moist heat. She let it drain then used towels to lay it on FIL's back. He loved it. She made it out of upholstery material and sewed several channels in it for the sand then stitched the ends. That way if one busted then she didn't lose all the sand.

Originally Posted by mrspete
Well it is the most interesting thing I've run across lately. How about buck wheat shells, I have a pillow mom bought me years ago with them and I don't find a good use and was going to make draft stoppers with them?? Anyone know what heating up the buckwheat shells will do?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 AM

You can put lavender in to make them smell nice. I also make a "slip cover" so I can take it off and wash it. And, like others, I sew across the inside bag in several places to keep the rice from all sliding down to one end. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Jim

we've made a few hundred of them...and we ALWAYS use buckwheat...we get it at the feed store and can make a lot of them with a 50 lb bag...and smells like fresh baked bread. I put the buckwheat in an innner bag and use scrap flannel to make washable bags that overs it.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:04 AM

Hi and Merry Christmas to all. Did Santa make it to your house?

I've just GOT to make myself one of these bags. Someone was going to try the coffee beans. I'm so curious to know how that worked out.

Also would love a couple pictures of some that some of you have made. I'm such a visual person.

Thanks and have a great day. Pat
Old 12-25-2010, 04:53 AM

I did try the coffee beans. I made a flannel sack and added the beans and microwaved for 1 min.. Aroma was not strong, also not hot enough. Emptied out the beans and put rice and dried lavender (that I made myself) into the bags. The aroma was wonderful and it stayed warm for a very long time. I'm going to make more. Thanks for sharing this info.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:41 AM

I really want to try this - but I'm really paranoid that they will suddenly burst into flames in the microwave. Obviously that doesn't happen if you only do it for a minute or two or everyone would be mentioning that..... :D (I'm just paranoid! ;))
Old 12-25-2010, 05:57 AM

A few drops of your favorite essential oil will take care of the ricey smell. Wouldn't be without mine.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:53 AM

They are great made with field corn also, and they don't have the odor that the rice has over time.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I make mine with deer corn. What part of NC are you in?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:08 PM

I have had one for at least 6 years and I do mine no longer that 3 mins, I really don't think they will catch fire or explode.