Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You ever think your just not good at this ? >

You ever think your just not good at this ?

You ever think your just not good at this ?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM

I have just started quilting recently , convinced I'm the queen in ripping out seams still have crooked seams but just keep plugging along , figure I have to improve cause it couldn't get worse, but having fun so I guess thats what counts but envy so many on the board when I see all the beautiful quilts.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 AM
kbs

Quilting is my entertainment, I enjoy working on fabric. Mistakes? Sure but I deal with it. I have burned a pie, spilled food in the fridge, dropped dishes that broke, pulled a weed that turned out to be the plant I put in last year. It goes on and on. My family sleep very well under my quilts, mistakes and all.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Most definitely! However, I just keep doing it because each day I get better at some little thing that encourages me to continue. I am confident that one day the little things will all come together and I will, at least, be better at it. One step at a time.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Working on my 7th quilt. I can see improvements but I doubt I will ever make a quilt that I feel is perfect, that's just my personality. As long as I enjoy it I'll keep on doing it.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 AM

I had to redo my mom's cheater quilt that I made her two times. The backing never fit right still doesn't but, she is happy with it and that is what counts.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:23 AM

I feel like I am not good at quilting--know where all my mistakes are, know what measurements aren't quite right, know what points aren't right and what seams don't meet. But then I think well, I will try harder next time--and then I have found out there are some secrets to doing certains things (thanks to this Quilting Board!). But it all reminds me of life, how there are many pieces to the quilt of life--some dark times and some light, happy, cheery times. But God can bring them all together into a beautiful quilt--and it takes the dark to make the light brighter. Only God knows the mistakes and He has a plan for bringing it all together. Well... (Can you tell I am a pastor's wife!:)
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I hope to finish the binding tonite on a quilt for my dh, it it a pattern that I made up due to the material design itself. I am just not thrilled with quality of my work. It won't ever win any award, but my dh says it doesn't have to be perfect for him! Bless his heart. I had hoped to finish it for his birthday in November, then my goal was Christmas, now my goal is New Year's. Ever glad to be done with a project? Sometimes I think I am just no good at this stuff. Then I look at it and think it is not that bad. Then I think I am just not cut out for this stuff. Then, like a nut I turn around and start again......
Yes, all of the time. With that said, every quilt that I make ends up being more complex than the previous one, so I must be making some kind of progress :-).

A few years ago, my DSIL, who was a quilting instructor, was very ill. I had just started sewing and quilting so, to say the least, I did a poor job of almost everything. I had joined an on-line quilting group, whose members encouraged me to make a quilt for her. It was only the 2nd quilt that I had ever made and there was scarcely a point that matched and the quilting was uneven and too far apart for the thread, which I later found out was a rather poor choice for quilting. I did manage to select some beautiful colors :-). That quilt made her cry for joy, because someone had made such a "beautiful quilt" for her. I'm happy to say that she recovered from her illness, and I like to think that my gift encouraged her in her battle against that illness.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 AM

I just can't believe the stupid mistakes I make all the time.Some times I think I should just give up. :oops:
Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 AM

wow! So there is someone out there that thinks like me!!! I go to the guild meeting and take some classes at local quilt shop and feel so dumb. At the guild, I mostly just take it all in, (don't do it myself). When I see the ideas and skills others have I know I am never going to be at that level (I don't have many years left to practice) so I don't even want to try... I have the machine, the notions and the time but not the confidence. So I check this board and see what everyone is doing and am glad that you all enjoy it......
Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I hope to finish the binding tonite on a quilt for my dh, it it a pattern that I made up due to the material design itself. I am just not thrilled with quality of my work. It won't ever win any award, but my dh says it doesn't have to be perfect for him! Bless his heart. I had hoped to finish it for his birthday in November, then my goal was Christmas, now my goal is New Year's. Ever glad to be done with a project? Sometimes I think I am just no good at this stuff. Then I look at it and think it is not that bad. Then I think I am just not cut out for this stuff. Then, like a nut I turn around and start again......
I think for a lot of us, the fun is in the process, and we end up with a quilt as a bonus! And you'll get better as you go along. Sometimes inperceptively, but when you compare earlier quilts to later ones, you'll see the progression.