I have bad news.......

Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 AM

I remember my mom sending me to the corner store with a note and 32 cents to pick her up a pack of Virginia Slim Cigarettes. I remember my mom also pulling up to the gas station and telling the man $2.00 please and it filling up her gas tank. I remember buying a Reeses Peanut butter cup double pack for 10 cents. I remember not having to lock your doors at night or even shutting them. But the times have changed. Now Gas here in Oregon is $3.15 or more now, It takes us $65.00 to fill up our vans gas tank. Luckily I no longer smoke, but cigarettes for cheap generic ones here are $5.95. And for a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup double pack..is 95 cents. UNREAL. AND I DO SHUT AND LOCK MY DOORS.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Wow, that's a major bummer. I am really happy that I built up my stash by taking advantage of many online offers. Spent more than I had planned, but am very happy with my purchases; plus the new relationships I've made with new suppliers. Jo-Anns has always been where I run to when I need something right now and the ladies there are always so helpful. Well, rats!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM

You would cry a lot more if you lived in Australia.We pay up to $30 a metre (39").I wait for the sales, usually at $10.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Our JoAnn's is closed on Sunday but there are four of the worker's cars there today. Maybe they are changing prices! I will watch for bargains other places. I'm not totally happy with JoAnn's anyway. They have such huge selvages with their name printed on it that you loose so much width in your fabric. All the flannel I bought last is that way!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mumzbear
Our JoAnn's is closed on Sunday but there are four of the worker's cars there today. Maybe they are changing prices! I will watch for bargains other places. I'm not totally happy with JoAnn's anyway. They have such huge selvages with their name printed on it that you loose so much width in your fabric. All the flannel I bought last is that way!
Talking about their flannel, the solids are so thin and I'm not that impressed with the quilters flannel. It just doesn't compare to the quilt shop flannel.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
Originally Posted by Mumzbear
Talking about their flannel, the solids are so thin and I'm not that impressed with the quilters flannel. It just doesn't compare to the quilt shop flannel.
Tell me about it! Last Christmas a lady called to ask me if I would make a flannel rag quilt for her Granddaughter. I did but didn't realize she'd already bought about 8 pieces of JoAnn's flannels. I told her I would still do it but could not guarantee the results after laundering She said... Not to worry, she understood and had let her 8 year old GD pick whatever she wanted. I made the rag quilts, snipped it and offered to launder it for her first because I know HOW to!! And I was afraid the "mother" of the child would freak out when she saw the residue left in the washer. (I sift and sift and sift when I wash one for the first time). Well this quilt was a disaster after the washing. Not only twice as much residue (1 Inch seam allowances) but the flannel itself was HORRID!!! I have never in my sewing life seen such extreme pilling on a fabric. It was so discouraging. I spent hours using a sweater de-piller to get it to look half ways decent for my customer. She was very understanding and didn't hold me responsible in any way. NEVER EVER will I buy flannel from JoAnns.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 PM

I have several friends that work at Joann's and they both say the same, cotton is going up because of the floods and one is a district manager.And Pet Smart bought them out. I haven't been to JoAnns since the holidays but I will stop by and see if our prices went up. But the last I saw there was no price increase
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

well then i better get on over to Joanns this week for some stock up fabric

thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM

I choose not to frequent JoAnn's before the buy out and prices going up due to our local store being hard to deal with and giving out bad attitudes. I can find outher places that are nicer and better prices.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
HUDSON, Ohio -- Jo-Ann Stores Inc., one of the few national retailers that prospered during the recession, has agreed to be acquired by a private equity firm in Los Angeles for $1.6 billion.

The deal with Leonard Green & Partners LP promises a premium for shareholders and should mean few changes for consumers at Jo-Ann's 756 stores, analysts said.
Could this company also own Pet Smart? companies are bought and sold all the time.[/quote]

The Co. is a holding co for different companies. Look them up on the internet, and she what other companies they hold.