I have bad news.......

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM

In the past month I have visited both Joanne's and Hancock's and have been very disappointed in the quality of their fabrics. Even the Moda fabrics were so thin I could read a newspaper through it. I'm not really sure it was Moda's fabric at all.

Anyway, I have spent about $500 in fabrics at Thousand of bolts in the past 3 weeks and I am very please at what I was able to get. The quality is excellent and on average I paid about $3.96 per yard (that includes the shipping cost). As far as I'm concerned, this is my new fabric store. Unless someone else can beat their prices.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
Spoke to the a lady that owns our LQS and she said Moda fabric are NOT raising their prices. Good news to me.
even if Moda isn't raising their price Joanne's is and so is Hancock's. So you will still pay the higher price for their fabrics.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Joann is my go to place, I love my LQSs, but can't afford them all the time, looks like I might not be able to afford Joanns much longer either.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM

IMHO....
Not sticking up for Joanne's or any other store. Blame it on mother nature, if you will. Our crops dictate prices.
I have read for 3 or 4 months now that the price of cotton was going up.
Have you noticed the price of frozen veggies has remained the same, but, the size of the packaging has gone from 32oz. to 28 oz.
Corn, grain, coffee, sugar, dairy, dr. appointments.
Check it out ladies. It isn't to late to stock pile the products you use.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 PM

That is bad news. Most of our fabrics are imported from America does that mean we are going to pay R21 more?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
In the past month I have visited both Joanne's and Hancock's and have been very disappointed in the quality of their fabrics. Even the Moda fabrics were so thin I could read a newspaper through it. I'm not really sure it was Moda's fabric at all.

Anyway, I have spent about $500 in fabrics at Thousand of bolts in the past 3 weeks and I am very please at what I was able to get. The quality is excellent and on average I paid about $3.96 per yard (that includes the shipping cost). As far as I'm concerned, this is my new fabric store. Unless someone else can beat their prices.
Are you saying that there is Moda at Joann's or Hancocks? I don't think it was Moda. Moda is my favorite fabric, my sisters is P&B, anyway I haven't seen any Moda at my local Joann's. I did notice some David Textiles there last time. I have got several David Textiles at Wal-Mart. There seems to be two different qualities of it though, one will have the name without the color dots on the selvage and the others will have the name and colors dots on the selvage. The fabrics with the name and colors dots seems to be a better quality of fabric. I got several pieces marked down to $1.00 a yard.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Here's an article someone sent me recently.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101223/..._acquisition_5
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Boy do I feel lucky to have a young lady here in town with a flea market! She opened it to support her habit - quilting! She picks and chooses the fabrics she gets in and it is amazing the quality and selection she gets - We're literally over an hour and a half from any LQS and sometimes farther that that for a larger place. Her batiks are good quality and only 3.50/yd. just to give you an ideal of how she runs. The wal-marts around here were the only way to get fabric, but they were 1.5 hrs. away (now most of them have quit handling fabric ouch!) and the LQS were just past them. Thanks Deb
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by laureneberhard
Seems to be going the way of gasoline $$$!
I was going to say the same thing! And as long as people buy it the prices will keep going up. You can buy a quilt through a catalog for less than it costs to make one. But we are a breed unto ourselves and we like to make a quilt or two or three or four, but don't like to have to pay for "big business" in a small business area. I will keep going to JoAnn's because somehow, someway in that store (every time I go), I find a bargain and it is good fabric and I like it/love it and that is all I need.

Gas, however, is something else. $3.00 a gallon. Here in St. Paul as other places there is a card we get from Roundy's, our grocery store, where they take off 10 cents on so much bought at the store. A few days ago, my husband bought gas at BP (which I don't want to buy from in the first place) for $1.30 off the $2.96 a gallon price. Now, they have discontinued the gas thing at Roundy's. Hey, you out there - remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and cigarettes were even cheaper? I don't smoke anymore - haven't for a million years, but I still remember the prices. I remember practically filling a tank for $1.00.

So, we will look for bargains any where we can and pride ourselves in the good deal we got.

KEEP MAKING AND PROCESSING OUR OWN COTTON IN OUR OWN COUNTRY. I'd rather pay more for fabric made in our own country and keep people in work and keep our own country going. It seems to me that quilters are going to be the ones that are going to save this country. Edie
Yes, I remember when I worked in St. Paul cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. Even came with a book of matches. I like to quilt but if prices get so high that I can't enjoy it anymore, I will move onto another project. We live up by Fargo, MN and even WM prices have gone up. I am going to try the Goodwill and Salvation Army. I seem to like to make something out of nothing.
Rita
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM

I am also tired of JoAnns. There fabric never seems to change. The same old thing all the time. If they are going up on there prices I might as well go to the quilt store and buy a better grade of material for the same price or a few pennies more. Then the salvage won't be so big. And there flannel is much thicker.