Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models >
  • Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models

• Pfaff-obsessed, need advice on used models

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

Just wanted to say. . . I have to laugh sometimes. All these numbers on these machines!!!

My Pfaff was purchased for me by my parents when I was 16. It's been all over to college, and moving and about 6 different states with me, fallen down a flight of steps (less bumps and bruises than I had!). Wouldn't give it up for the world. Hate the thought of having to replace it.

I'm showing my age here. . . . . . . it's a #79! I'll be 56 at the end of this month.
    Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM

I've had my Phaff for around twenty years, have never had any issues. Never heard of motherboard problems
    Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I need a backup machine.
    Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

I have a 1471 from the 80s also and have never had any problems with it. I would like to find another one if I could. It is a real workhorse and will do anything. One of the best machines made.
    Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

I have the 7530 also. I bought it new and have used it hard and put it away wet! I told the dealer not to sell me any junk as I would sew anything I could get under the foot and I wasn't kidding. I have sewn upholstery, fur, double knits, denims, sheer stuff, and it never blinked. It's about 13 or 14 years old and I would recommend one of these for anyone and I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used one like it. Mine doesn't have the embroidery unit but I have a Babylock that does so I can do just about anything I want.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

I bought my first Pfaff 262 in 1968 brand new and it is the machine on the right in my Avatar. It is still going strong. I had to buy a walking foot for it as it did not come with IDT. The first Pfaff to come out with IDT is the Pfaff 1222. I belong to an Old Pfaffies Phorum, which is a yahoo group. I read and have learned so much about Pfaffs since becoming a member. I also have a Pfaff 130(built in 1950) I bought from a Pfaff dealer in San Antonio after he rewired the motor and serviced it. It is a collector's favorite of old Pfaff mechanical machines. I love it! There was a Pfaff 7570 in their shop when I was there, and one of the staffers said "This was the last Pfaff actually made in Germany and is the best machine Pfaff ever made." I also have a Pfaff 2170 embroidery/quilters machine but it was made after Pfaff was sold and was manufactured in Czecholavakia. OF course I wish it was made in Germany but it is a really neat machine. But I do most of my regular sewing on the old Pfaffs, mainly the 262 since it is bolted in a cabinet, and save the 2170 for embroidery. I definitely prefer my two oldies, 262 and 130 for FMQuilting over the plastic model for they are just so much heavier and more stable to work with, and of those two, the 130 is the smoothest of all. AND, I want to say that if I had the room I would for sure add a 7570 to my collection!
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Wow, thx! Great info, keep it coming! Will join Pfaff forum ASAP!
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I have a Pfaff Tipronic 2030 made in Germany. I bought it around 2001. I love it and I only had to change the light during all these years. Just last month I bought the 2140 upgraded to 2170 made in Germany= this one is used but I didn't doubt it when the dealer showed it to me.
    I will use this for embroidery only. I don't think I would buy another brand. My serger is also Pfaff.
    Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Once a "Pfaffie, always a "Pfaffie", I think is how the saying goes. By the way, The Singer parent company bought both Viking and Pfaff and own all three companies (Viking, Pfaff and Singer) under the name, I think, VMS. And, it is my understanding that the other machines that have the built in foot similiar to the Pfaff IDF are quite bulky and cumbersome and feed in a totally different manner than the Pfaff IDF. Anyway, I'm on my 3rd Pfaff (2044, 2056 and now the Expression 4.0. When I sew on a machine without the IDF, I feel like I'm a beginner at sewing again.
    Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 PM

The PDQ on the Babylock Quest Plus seems quite similar to IDT, which is how my Pfaff obsession began... Accufeed on the Janome Horizon and Elna eXellence is much wider, but Horizon owners seem to love it. But Pfaff invented it. Thx to the poster who said that the 1st Pfaff model with IDT was the 1222.