Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I'm right there with you! I made a set of placemats for my sister and have been lollygagging about doing the binding. I decided yesterday that I would not do another thing (including cooking supper!) until I get them done. So the upshot is I have sewn the binding on the front of two, but the second one is giving me fits where you put the two end together. I don't know why it is so hard for me. There are several tutorials here. In fact I followed one of them for the first mat. Now I have to find the tute for the rest of them.

If I can't even bind a place mat, how am I ever going to do a quilt? It's very discouraging?
Don't give up!! I wish I was closer so I could sit with you and show you how! I have found the best method is to use a 2 inch strip, join the strips on the bias and fold them in half. When you start (in the centre of the side of your project) start about 1 inch in (leaving the 1 inch at the start free. When you come around to the end, you will fold this raw edge under 1/2 inch and tuck the "end" under it. Make sense? When you have finished sewing, press the binding towards the outside. Fold it around to the back and lightly press again. Pin using binding clips (they are also used for girls' hair barrettes) so you don't get poked by straight pins. Sew by hand to the back. It sounds like a lot of work, but trust me, I've tried to take shortcuts and it never turns out right. I hope this helps you. Please don't give up - after you have got onto it, you will be happy that you stuck with it and you will have beautifully bound projects!! Good luck!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
One of the best binding tutorials (video) ever at: http://sewfunwiththesecretcloset.blo...e-binding.html

It has the best pictures, directions, and does not move so fast as to miss the really important stuff. Also, it shows a couple of alternate methods, both of which work really well. Give it a look-see, I think you'll be most pleasantly surprised.
That is one of the best videos I've seen. It was so easy to see what she was doing. Thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM

I always sew my binding on the back side by machine and then fold it over and machine sew it on the front side. Use a straight stitch or a decorative stitch.
For something very special, I sew by machine on to the front then hand sew the back.
your corners will get better over time.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:03 PM

When you hand stitch binding on a quilt. What kind of stitches do you do?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM

I have tried all sorts of binding, and didn't mind any of them , but my very favorite is working with the angle finder from Creative grids. With this method you do not work with a long binding strip you cut 4 strips one or each side of your quilt. by doing this you stitch at the corners and have perfect corners. You also do not have to do that final join at the end. below is the link It is better if you can get someone to demo it for you. wish I lived closer http://www.checkerdist.com/_divs/_vi...?videoID=CGRAF
Old 01-12-2011, 07:10 PM

LOL. I dont know what you call it. It is an invisible stitching where you catch the edge of the binding and the fabric behind it. Maybe someone else knows the name for it.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM

toodie11,
Does this work for 90 degree angles too? The video seems to imply that it does not.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Binding survival tips....Cut bias strips 2.5 inches wide, (some use 2.25), press and use spray sizing to fold in half. align the cut edge with the cut edge of the quilt top, and stitch 1/4 inch from edge. Using small binder clip, (I use 10, and move them as i stitch) roll the fold over the cut edges and blind stitch down to back. Using the bias means you don't have all the twisting as you sew it down. Easy Cheesy. I hated doing binding until I learned this method. They call it french binding. Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM

sharon shambers method works, don't knock it if you haven't tried it. if you don't know, sharon is probably the worlds best quilter. try her web site. she has many free tuts
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM

My problem with glue is that I get more on me than the project. I did try to glue a binding. Got the glue all over the quilt. After I cleaned up what I could, I ironed the binding and it held nicely. If only it weren't so messy! I don't know how she is so neat.