Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would You Have Bought This? >

Would You Have Bought This?

Would You Have Bought This?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM

yes I would have bought it. You can always felt it and then you can cut it and sew it at your will.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:20 AM

It will be felted when it is thicker and heavier feeling...you could call it matted. Then when you cut it it will not fray.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM

When you wash wool do you get a lot of stuff come off of it? Just wondering because its like it was shedding in my washer.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Yes, the fuzz from the nap will be coming off.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Originally Posted by Diamondrose
Felting is the process of washing wool over and over to shrink it until it does not ravel. The easiest way would be to run it through a number of wash cycles before the rinse and spin. I know someone that raises sheep and either washes the wool after it is sheared to make felt or has it spun into yarn. There are many different grades of wool and that is based on the type of sheep the wool has come from.

I would have bought it if I thought it was something I would use at some point in time. I also know people that get things like that to cut in very narrow strips to make a type of punch rug which are very pretty.
Thanks for explaining felting. So do you mean I can wash wool to the place it will not unravel? Wow, I didn't know that. Now lets just hope the blankets still there :)
it will not ravel AND that's what makes it so good to applique with - no turning under - just raw edge. Yeehawwww!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

I also would have purchased it in a heart beat for felting. I would have washed it in hot water to felt it and used a color grabber cloth to catch all the excess red color. I never can find such great deals, I guess I will just have to go more often.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM

See you all later! I am headed to the Goodwill!

...thanks for all the great information! and I have a red blanket w/ the black stripes downstairs. Will have to see if it has a maker label on it!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Maybe this photo will give a better of idea of what felted wool should look like.

There is also a machine that can be purchased to do the felting or you can do it by hand.

I was told by someone that uses wool for rugs that Goodwill will sell wool clothing in large bundles and it is much cheaper that way than purchasing things piece by piece. Not sure if that is all stores but they will do it here.

You can also make felt from a wool sweater by doing the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159972.jpe  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Originally Posted by IndyQuilter
I bought a wool blanket at a yard sale a few years ago. It had been washed and shrunk. I thought they wanted too much for it, but I wanted it for my ironing table. It makes a great padding, better than batting because it doesn't compress like batting does, but yet it gives just enough cusion to press your pieced blocks without the chance of stretching them out of shape like batting can. I got this tip from a professional quilter. Sorry I can't remember who.
IndyQuilter - What a great idea! I haven't heard of this before!

After you put the wool padding on your ironing table, do you then cover it with muslin (or other fabric), or do you iron right on the wool surface, without another cover over it?

I am going to have to try this! Thanks!

The wool blanket had already been washed and shrunk so it was thicker than a regular wool blanket. It was the perfect size for my table. I first put the blanket on the table and had just enough to bring it to the underside and used my husbands heavy duty stapler to attach it. Then I covered the wool with a light color heavy canvas, or you can use denim, and again I stapled it. Lastly I made a muslin cover with a drawstring and put that over the canvas top. When the muslin gets dirty, I just take it off and wash it and then put it back on. My husband made the table for me from and old bathroom vanity. He put it on a base and added open shelves to each end to get the length I wanted. Then he put casters on it so I can roll it around. It measures 28x64, perfect for ironing large pieces of fabric. Another benefit is that it has lots of extra storage.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM

Yes I would have bought it. I've been looking for exactly that to make into a new coat. My current one is looking old and that quality of wool is expensive - if you can find it. I'll pay the cost and shipping if you want to send to to me! LOL :o)