Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts >

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Need Tips on Low-to-No Cost Fabs for Charity Quilts

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM

One of the ladies in my guild ask for everyones scraps or UFOs for charity quilts.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM

do you have any textile companies near you? If the make bedding they have a lot of big scraps.

I make at least 40 or more charity quilts a year, and the word is out! sometimes we come home to bags of sheets, blankets. fabric, etc on the porch. Two years ago, someone left SEVEN garbage bags full.....
Sheets are great for backs--I have gotten brand new ones for $2 at yard sales.

I make at least 40 or more charity quilts a year, and the word is out! sometimes we come home to bags of sheets, blankets. fabric, etc on the porch. Two years ago, someone left SEVEN garbage bags full.....
Sheets are great for backs--I have gotten brand new ones for $2 at yard sales.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Go on line and tell people you need solid colors for backing. Be sure you specify the type and weight. I did this several years ago and I got more fabric that I have been able to use.

Also thrift stores and buy sheets or draperies that would be suitable for donated quilts.

I also make charity quilts and spend as little money as possible. I also buy crocheted afghans, bring home and wash and donate them. There are so many ways you can help people. Mine are donated to Veteran's Hospitals and nursing homes. Some time Nursing home won't take that kind of a donation. You also can send one to a soldier overseas. Some churches have Charity baskets that are sent every month to our service men and women. God Bless You!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

Old Thrift Store Blankets make good batting for charity quilts. I always just make sure to wash them first because sometimes they have a kind of funky odor. And sheets from the Thrift Store are great for backings. Just get creative
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM

My husband & I are avid garage salers. So I have picked up lots of fabric at sales. I even have him trained so he can buy for me if I'm not with him. I make quilts for wounded warrriors, Quilts for Kids, & sick children in my own area. Most of what I buy isn't QS grade but still is nice. Often, when I tell the sellers what I'm using it for they offer it even cheaper. One lady told me to come back the last afternoon of her sale & gave me all that was left. I shared that with others in my quilting guild who make charity quilts. Wish we lived closer, I'd share with you.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Our quilt guild just made over 900 quilts this last year and 350 tops for charity. Our material sources have been donations from churches, friends, members buying from all of the local fabric places, and sometimes businesses. Our guild sends to shelters, fire departments, police, hospitals, nursing homes, families of the military and the VA hospitals.

Fabric must be clean, unscented, and preferably cotton; although poly/cotton blends are ok for the non-hospital locations. Battings are mostly cotton, but poly, fleece and flannel have also been used for the non-hospital destinations.

Best way to get material - ASK! You would be surprised about the number of friends of a friend who don't sew any more, are moving, just passed away, etc who want their stash to go to a good home, and knowing it is going to a charity really makes the donors and their families happy.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you wind up doing. There are a lot of really good ideas in this post you can use.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Some Project Linus groups have people who donate fabrics for the blanketeers to utilize in making the charity quilts. Also, some quilt guilds have fabrics donated to them and they put them out for their members to take and make cuddle quilts for charity.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Sorry if this was already posted but search for fabric scraps on ebay. Often they come stuffed with all sorts of bolt ends, pre-cuts, orphans. Etc. I've made out like a bandit on some of these auctions.