Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting - Purpose? >

Quilting - Purpose?

Quilting - Purpose?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:27 AM

l make a quilt for various reasons depending on the quilt l make them for the pure love of creating them and some l sell others go to the family or charity or to put them in a quilt show is great fun. quilting is so restful
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 AM

I think that I make quilts because I absolutely have to buy fabric. A fabric store to me is like a candy store to some people, they can't resist...one of these two of those half a pound of another. Not to mention the utter joy of giving something of yourself to warm and comfort others.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 AM

Often gifts, many for use and decoration, not into showing.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
Am I the only one who thinks like this or do all of you? I get great pleasure thinking of my quilts being passed down from one generation to another. Then hopefully many years on my great great great grandchild (hopefully) will fall in love with some of my now, antique quilts and cherish them. I would love to have a crafted article of some type passed on from one of my relatives and perhaps one of my descendants will too!
Totally agree
Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 AM

Thank you all for your statements, it is so interesting to read!
I mostly do my quilts for decoration, demonstration objects for my workshops, to enter in shows and - this is the most important thing to me - to keep a traditional craft alive. I am very proud having the talent and the patience to do it and I really hope that they will be passed to the next generations. I don't have children and quilting does not have a longliving tradition here in Germany, but I hope somebody will cherish my work in the future.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 AM

I quilt because my grandmother quilted, my mother quilts and my sisters quilt and because I want to learn well enough to pass it on to my granddaughters. Sitting behind my sewing table and sewing machine takes me to a whole new place where I can think slowly, appreciate if I do something right and try to pat myself on the back!!!! I am in my own little world and I think we all need that once in a while. Sort of like "Calgon, take me away!" I just say "Singer, take me away!" and I am gone!

I love to keep my mind active by planning the next one I am going to work on and at the same time keep what I am doing now separate from the rest. It is my way of keeping a chaotic order in my brain, heart and mind. Seems to work for me. And if it ain't broke, I am not changing it!!!!!!! Edie
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 AM

Chanllege of creating...I can't paint a picture but I can on fabric. Making things for specific people who like certain things and then put them into a quilt. But the most fun is sending the quilt off to family and friends without telling them and the surprise when it arrives.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:18 AM

Very good question you have here. Me, i quilt because i like it. Since i have been on this site, i am quilting more and more, as there is so MUCH out there i would love to do. I am trying to get myself to quilt and to give to others. that i am finding very hard to do. Will get there.....lol
Old 02-05-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
Fun and the joy they bring others.
Amen to that!!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 AM

Me too!!! All of the above.