Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keepsake Quilting Experience >

Keepsake Quilting Experience

Keepsake Quilting Experience

Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
http://sewfisticated.com/category/cotton/

I think they have one in Framingham as well,,, i'm in Middleboro, MA Oakpoint.. (retirement comm.)... having fun just doin' nothing, but what i want... LOL..
thank you! I have been to Oak Pt I was there for a conf.( I work 3 days a week at an adult day ctr. ) the place was beautiful (but there is no way I'll ever leave the island! (except to shop) thanks again for the info
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gagamarks
... the ones on the Cape are "Heartbeat Quilts" and "Tumbleweeds"... great shops and their is a girl at Heartbeat (owner i think), that has designs in magazines etc... a real celebrity!!!
my favorite shop is "SewFisticated" near Boston, with the hands-down best pricing ever and great selection.... 2.99 per yard is the high price for cotton,,, i hit the rem table, hence my huge growing stash, i'm working to "sew down"...
thank you I have been to Tmbl weed and heart bt I fly over frm the island! It is a real treat day and I too have dropped a few pay chks there I have DD on mainland maybe I can talk her into a ride to sewfist. where is that?
Helen is the owner at Heartbeat in Hyannis. It's a very nice store with all the up to date fabrics. What I like about that store is that they have samples hung up all over the place of their patterns, with the patterns right there for you to buy. If I love an item made up, I will definitely buy the pattern. It's sometimes hard to visualize it made up, so this is a big plus for that store.

Tumbleweed is a few miles away and is another wonderful store. They do have up to date fabrics, but they also have some older fabrics. They have patterns and books and a little room devoted to seasonal fabrics. I always visit this store when I go on retreats at the Cape.

There's another store called Murray's a little further up on the Cape in Orleans. It's a small store with up to date fabrics, but worth it to go there. They are a Janome dealer.

I have also been to Keepsake Quilting, though quite a few years ago - actually before they moved into the section of where they are in now. At that time, it was the biggest quilt shop in America. I was very impressed with it. I remember that they had a 4th of July sale in the parking lot every year that was always mobbed. Someday I will go there again.

I am so happy to hear about their wonderful customer service. I haven't ordered from them in a while, but when I did, I remember that they always shipped fast, and their packaging was very well done.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Thank you for the reference to Sewfisticated, this year when we visit, we'll be sure to go. I'm sure I'll be doing a bit of buying again, even if only some black cottons for blending. We used to live fairly close to Lambert's...long time ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:41 PM

http://sewfisticated.com/category/cotton/

I think they have one in Framingham as well,,, i'm in Middleboro, MA Oakpoint.. (retirement comm.)... having fun just doin' nothing, but what i want... LOL..
I work just a few miles from the one in Dorchester so sometimes go during my lunch break.

What do you think? Do you think the fabrics are the same quality as in an LQS? For example, the Andover fabrics...the LQS has Andover lines but - maybe it's all in my head - the Andover at sewfisticated feels flimsier.

I've asked in other posts if it's possible that a manufacturer has different qualities for different levels of retail. Most people say no, one person suggested the printing might be on a different level of fabric. Others have suggested that the pricing reflects old lines of fabric.

Either way, I'll be buying there to make pillowcases for donation since I can't afford LQS prices for that.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I would love to visit Keepsake Quilting. I live in MA so there's really no excuse. But when DS went to college in VT, it allowed for so many visits to places along the way than I would take if leaving from home without the college destination.

Wouldn't you know...I hadn't yet made it to KQ and he transferred to a college in CT.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 AM

here's the skinny on "fabrics".. my quilting buddies that "quilt professionally" and allow me to sit "hang" with them... LOL... say most definitely there can be a differnce..having worked with "own label" products in the food business for years it's true for most products we buy... that being said... Sewfisticates is my kind of place.. i'm not out to win awards... i love being artistic and creating as i go,,, most of what i do is for children, kids or just to be "used"... i certainly no "good fabric" from bad,, but it's got to be pretty bad before i would not take home a pice i love!LOL... also, if you are ever looking for "fancy, sparkly, stretchy" or home dec fabrics at fantastic pricing... this is your place...my BF sews roller skating costumes for her GD and the price is a fraction of what they pay from the rink coaches supplier..