Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >
  • What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

• What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM

I get tired of the clutter from my long strips on my table so I use those cheap small rolling pins that you can get at the dollar store and other places. I roll the strips up on the rolling pin and cut the blocks off as I go.
    Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Toolbox on wheels to transport machine and notions. Also acts as a side table when topped with a small cutting mat for quick cuts or making notations at guild.

Suitcase with wheels to transport fabrics and projects to guild/UFO's.

Zip Lock Freezer Bags (very strong) in various sizes -- hold cut pieces/templates for individual projects. Also used for storing miscellaneous small rulers/templates.
    Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM

2 gallon zip-lok bags to keep projects in so I can see what all I have in the bag.

DH's big rubber mallet.

Roll-around drawer carts from Costco or Wal-Mart
    Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I store my fusible web rolled up inside empty paper towel holders.
    Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM

I use small fishing lure boxes to hold bobbins for my various sewing machines; they are 2 sided and have lots of compartments. I bought my dd a large fishing tackle box to use for all of her sewing supplies.
    I use a round chopstick for a spool holder
    on my machine that doesn't have one. Empty pill bottles hold filled bobbins for taking to classes or quilting bee. A wheeled scrapbooking case for toting some of my sewing machines.
    Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Used dryer sheets to back my quilt labels. They make for nice, clean edges on the label; easy to attach to the back of the quilt
    Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

I use hubby's (now mine) small needle nose pliers.

Wonderful help when taking paper from PPing blocks.
    Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Most of the items I use are already listed by others, except for one: an empty and cleaned plastic cottage cheese container sits beside my machine to hold clipped threads.
    Jane
    Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

A twelve inch crochet hook for poking out corners.

A grease board to keep track of projects, measurements, etc.

A camping ironing board which fits on my cutting table and can be used for pressing seams as I go.

A hemostat for everything.

Empty prescription bottles for pencils, marking chalk, anything that is tall and can roll off the table.

Small plastic beading bags to hold each different presser foot, labeled so I can just grab the one I need.

Portable expandable file boxes with the patterns that come in plastic envelopes, with a little notebook telling me what pattern is in which box.

Heavy metal bookends, from Goodwill, to hold my pattern books together.

Notebooks, from Goodwill, to hold patterns printed from online and inserted in plastic sheet protectors.

Fruit and vegetable plastic containers to store trim, small scraps, applique, grommets, zippers for purses, magnetic snaps for purses.

Small sturdy plastic stool to reach the high shelves where my fabric is stored.

Grabber to reach items on tops of shelves that are light enough and don't require climbing on a step stool.

Box from cans of pet food, low and large, reinforce the corners and I lay projects in them which keeps them organized, clean and can be stacked safely.

3 drawer nightstands, from Goodwill, to store thread cones.

Goodwill has some of the best "quilting" aids I've found. They weren't intended for that purpose, but they are cheap and they work.
    Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    When I need to number the rows of a quilt, I use numbered beads. I put the numbered bead onto a safety pin and then pin it to one end of the row. I make sure to keep the pins on the same end of the rows. This has saved me hours of ripping.
    What a good idea!!! I use post-its but sometimes they fall or the pin falls out.

FREE Quilting Newsletter