Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >
  • 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

• 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM

Not only check thrift but rummage sales. Folks after time get rid of their stash and or items of clothing made out of some great fabric. If you choose to use a clothing item, cut it up as soon as you can so you don't loose the perspective of it being usable fabric. Throw the buttons and zippers in a jar
    Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM

I too go to thrift stores and find new sheets. What about shopko or Big lots do they sell sheets cheap?
    Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Any sheet if you plan to use it would be best to check fiber content, wash it at least once (if new) and try sewing through it. One that pills after washing will only get worse. One high in polyester will tend to fight the needle. Both Big Lots and Shopko sell sheets give the a try.
    If you are using a colored sheet or any colored fabric you want to insure doesn't fade or at least minimally over time use this recipe.
    1 cup Vinegar, 1 cup salt, large load scoop baby or mild laundry soap- can do 10 yards of fabric in the washer. It's sets the color (Been sometime since I've done this so I think it is warm water, maybe cold)put items through the dryer when done washing.
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM

I usually buy at thrift stores and find good quality sheets for less than 5.00 Hold up well and nice and soft
    Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM

I use 120" wide fabric I order from "Fabric.com"...lots of colors and patterns and no seams...much cheaper than a sheet!
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM

You can go online on their sale fabric and get 100% cotton that is wonderful for less than $5.00 a yard. (Connecting Threads is a place I recommend....there are others that other members of this board have recommended as well).
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM

You can go online on their sale fabric and get 100% cotton that is wonderful for less than $5.00 a yard. (Connecting Threads is a place I recommend....there are others that other members of this board have recommended as well).
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette
    I`m looking for something that would cost me less than the backing fabric which can be quite expensive here...but I do want quality...not cotton that will wear out after a few washes...
    Buy sheets at thrift stores
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Flannel sheets make good batting for light quilts
    Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM

I have in the past purchased my good cotton sheets from The Bay. They were 100% Egyptian Cotton PERCALE with a thread count of 200 or more and were excellent; I believe they were by Texmade but I am not certain. It has been very difficult for me to find GOOD cotton percale sheets. Recently I purchased a Queen set of 100% Egyptian Cotton sheets/pillowcases with a 600 thread count(Made in China) at Homesense thinking they would be good. They were not PERCALE and after laundering could just as well been 50 thread count. Very disappointed. I live in London Ontario and wonder if there is anywhere I can buy Egyptian Cotton Percale sheets reasonably. Kingsmills carry them but they are quite spendy. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.