Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you define  CREATIVE? >

How do you define CREATIVE?

How do you define CREATIVE?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
My DH says I am not the least bit creative because every time I sew, quilt, bake, garden, paint, write, etc. I do my own thing instead of following a set pattern, or rule, or recipe, or guide of some type. He says creative means doing EXACTLY what the plan says and not changing it one tiny bit. I say if I want it the way someone else does I will do their way, if I want it my way I will do mine.

What are your thoughts on being CREATIVE?
hmmm...I would have thought just the opposite. I look at directions, etc. and see what the "experts" say, then I think, "I bet this would "add to the 'taste, shape, appeal, total appearance, whatever." Thinking Outside the box is my definition of creative. I'm not gonna change.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 AM

so true!--doing your own thing is being creative---doing exactly what someone else has done is "copying" and does not use any creative juices!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I say your DH has it completely back wards. His way is not creative infact it restricts all creativity. You can tell him I said that. :-).
100% in agreement with cjomomma!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Creative is using your own ideas to enhance some basic directions, or creating strictly with your own ideas. What your hubby is referring to is called manufacturing...........not creating LOL!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 AM
jme

Art/ creativity is like beauty, "in the eye of the beholder"
Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Julianna, Continue to do youe own thing. That's called being creative. :thumbup:
Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 AM

I have to at least have something to look at to do any crafts. I can't just think up something in my head. I feel I am creative but the ones of you who just think up things and do it are incredible.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by TeriD
That's the weirdest definition of creative I've ever heard. It seems to me that doing your own thing is MORE creative than following a pattern, plan, etc.
I agree, when you do something different with a pattern is definitely creating something new...He must be one of the rule followers , creative people usually don't follow the rules.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM

When I figure out what the pattrern or designer had it mind, thats learning. When I make it my way, that's creative.

Any time you want to bash a guy, just relate one of his *&%$#&ss statements on here. Ya'll just havin fun with the guy, right?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
My DH says I am not the least bit creative because every time I sew, quilt, bake, garden, paint, write, etc. I do my own thing instead of following a set pattern, or rule, or recipe, or guide of some type. He says creative means doing EXACTLY what the plan says and not changing it one tiny bit. I say if I want it the way someone else does I will do their way, if I want it my way I will do mine.

What are your thoughts on being CREATIVE?
Where on earth did your husband go to school? Did he go to school? Sorry, that was bad. But I do have to wonder where he got such a warped idea.

Let's go back to basics. God CREATED the world. He didn't buy a pattern, He didn't make it like His neighbor's. He made something new out of nothing.

Now, granted, we can't do that. But we can sit down with a pencil and paper and design something we can't find a pattern for or something different from the patterns available.

Of course, anyone who can design on their own is creative, but I'd also consider folks who try new color arrangements of old designs creative. Folks who take an old pattern and add a new twist to it are creative. People who step outside the boundries are creative.

You are CREATIVE, he needs to use a dictionary.