Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 AM

These things are GREAT! No drugs, no worries.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 AM

Our dog Ky is a wreck when a storm comes in .My Hubby did some research and found out if you put a tee-shirt on them and don't sweet talk them .They start behaving more normal .We call it his boom boom shirt.He really is afraid of the boom boom monster.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 AM

Just as many of you have said, my trainer advised not to baby the dog or say "It's OK." Just act nonchalant, unworried, maybe curious about the thunder, but not scared of it.

She also teaches how to help the dog "settle," a technique that helps with storms or anything that makes the dog anxious. It's a calming massage that you can't do too much -- anytime you're just watching TV or whatever. She said the dog will eventually calm down just when it hears the word.

You use two fingers to massage the dog starting at its cheek, going to the top of its head, down one side of the spine, and onto its thigh -- but don't reverse the process -- in other words, always start at the head. All the time you're doing this, say, "Settle" over and over.

Wonder of wonders, it seems to be working with my Golden. He's SOOOO much calmer.

I know there are extremes though -- I fostered one dog that was so totally terrified she'd go insane and even run outside into the storm.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 AM

I have two shihtzu's (?) that are both terrified of thunder, fire works, and loud weather. I've had them since birth. The also do not like loud machinery: lawn mowers, saws, my VACUUM, weed eaters, etc. I'm going to have to get something from the vet before the 4th of July this year, cause there are fireworks all around me.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 AM

There is a vest that is made for dogs specifically for this problem...it's made so that it applies gentle pressure on the dog, much like it is being hugged by someone...sorry that I cannot remember the name of the vest.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 AM

You know, I'd rather just sit and hug my dog and reassure her. If I were frightened of storms (I am not - I love thunder and lightning), I would want reassurance. Sure they are dogs, but dogs have fear too and that look in their eyes is just too much to let that go by without reassuring them that everything is going to be ok. She gets petrified in a car wash! Thunder storm! Edie
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 AM

I have a rescue chocolate lab and made him a Thundershirt copy on Monday. Monday night storms came through, put the shirt on him and it was the best night ever for him. I did order the real one but the homemade one worked great. Went to the vet on Tuesday, wore his shirt, and the ride was so much better. The shirt also calmed his barking when my GD came to visit.
Making one is a snap after looking at the real ones online. I am still in awe as to how this simple shirt works. I will use the home one for my Barbie who hides, in the bathroom, when a storm comes through.
Make or buy one---they work.
Jan in the Thumb of MI
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rannyof3
I have two shihtzu's (?) that are both terrified of thunder, fire works, and loud weather. I've had them since birth. The also do not like loud machinery: lawn mowers, saws, my VACUUM, weed eaters, etc. I'm going to have to get something from the vet before the 4th of July this year, cause there are fireworks all around me.
Funny how they can be different. I have two Shih Tzus and the male is afraid of storms and loud noises, and the female couldn't care less. She actually likes to be vacuumed with the brush attachment. And I had to correct her when she was a puppy, because she wanted to go after the weedeater! I broke that trait real fast.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Our female basset hound, Blossom, was terrified of storms and at the time we lived in Oklahoma City. I would cuddle her and she would shake and pant throughout. She continued to be scared her entire life. She's passed now but I think of her whenever there's a storm...I miss our cuddles :(
Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Swap Hosts

First of all, congratulations on adopting Sophie. Rescues are the best, aren't they? Neither of our current dogs are afraid of thunder, but we once had a big tough athletic German Short Haired Pointer who was terrified. He would hide in the bathtub and not come out for hours. My pugle, who is now 50 lbs and tough as nails, used to be afraid of the stone lions in front of some of the houses around here. Plastic bags blowing in the wind, sprinklers, and pop up halloween decorations were also terrifying. Now, nothing bothers him. Daisy, my rescued chihuahua terrier is terrified of the ironing board, large boxes, and the vacuum cleaner. She even starts barking if I pick up the iron and she is on another floor. How she hears it I don't know. Who knows what happened to poor Sophie in her life. You just have to love them and pet them and make them feel safe and calm.