Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 AM

You can do benadryl but it goes by weight, how many lbs is your dog, I will ask my daughter for the amount (vet tech).
Old 04-21-2011, 04:33 AM

Bess can smell a storm coming a ways away and starts getting agitated. I bring out a comforter and lay on the living room floor with her covered up in the comforter (not a quilt) and just pet her and pet her and calm her down and by the time the storm is over she has given me her long sigh that she is asleep and I get up, go to bed and not sleep for the rest of the night. But the Bess is calm, serene, happy, snoring up a storm.

Our other dog, Bridget, was the same way and when she died I missed her the most during storms, probably because she really needed me for comfort - and so does Bess.

I grumble and complain, but it's ok. I don't want to give her any pills if I don't have to (I may have to as she gets older - she is 8), so in the meantime I'll just cuddle the heck out of her!!!!! Edie

PS - The tv is on also and the flickering from the tv confuses her with the lightning and she thinks the lightning is the flickering from the tv and that works.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 AM

I had a spaniel that was the bird dog of late DH's dreams and was exstatic at the sound of gun fire. "Oh boy let's go hunting!" However as she aged and wasn't hunting anymore she became more and more agitated with storms. She definitely knew a storm was coming long before I did and I assume that it is either the abrupt change in atmospheric pressure or the electrical field she sensed. She would suddenly become a lap dog which was not her normal pattern. As she aged she was deaf as a post so it wasn't the noise. I used Benadryl and the vet approved. She was still frightened but not nearly so much. I have a neighbor whose Brittany, only as old age took over, panicked when storms approached. She too was deaf. They finally resorted to a prescribed sedative and it was the humane thing to do.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 AM

Poor thing! at 5 yrs she's probably had the terror reinforced by being comforted every time it thunders, My poor Felcia had the same problem... I learned that to comfort them reinforces the terror.... tranquilizers are the fastest way to help. but desentizing them to the noise is best. Felicia got valium.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:40 AM

Those that said the dogs pick up the vibs from the owner, that we expect the dog to react, so they do - rubbish to that. I could be sound asleep when a storm comes. Ruby who can't jump up on the bed, will climb on the bed and start pacing on the bed and wake me up. I'm talking about a 90 pound dog. She will even try to walk on the night stand.
Those that say to ignore them, I hope you never have a fear that you need comforting from. Fear is REAL.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
This is so true !!

This what we had to do with one of ours, but we also used a spray in the house called " Quiet Moments " it last for about 8 hrs. It reproduces a type of canine pheromone that provides a sense of safety & well being. I have also used it my car, becuase my girl gets so excited to ride. It does make them a little sleepy, but it is better than drugs . Our vet recomended it.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM

I also have a Shitzu that is afraid of the storms here in Ohio. I give her some Bendryal. And I just saw an ad in a magazine the shirt is call a Thunder T-shirt. It ads compression to their bodies and makes them commer. It was $36.00 . Used for traveling too. It reminder me of a coat for dogs. I thought maybe I would just make one a little tighter and see how that works.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:48 AM

I also have a Shitzu that is afraid of the storms here in Ohio. I give her some Bendryal. And I just saw an ad in a magazine the shirt is call a Thunder T-shirt. It ads compression to their bodies and makes them commer. It was $36.00 . Used for traveling too. It reminder me of a coat for dogs. I thought maybe I would just make one a little tighter and see how that works.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

I've heard of *thunder shirts* but I really don't know anything about them. It might be worth a google search.

Susan
Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

So glad to be able to help YOU for a change, Craftybear. You are always giving to us.

Go to a health food store and get some Bach Rescue Remedy. I have studied Bach Flower Remedies for over 25 years and you can use this to calm yourself, your animals and even put a few drops in water when you transplant seedlings and any mature plants. Every living thing benefits from it and you only need 2-3 drops in the dog's basin or your water glass or a gallon of water for your plants. It is the most amazing thing. I use it for clients in grief and it takes that awful edge off both physical and emotional pain. You will never be without it again!!