Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saving Scrap pieces.... >

Saving Scrap pieces....

Saving Scrap pieces....

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM

I have squares cut down to 1.5" because I recently did a swap for them I am thinking about doing more as I am slowly talking myself into one of the postage stamp quilts and I believe that is what size you need for those.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I save all my scraps...you just never know when you (or someone else) needs just the "right" piece for a project. I ran across this when I needed an orange piece for a carrot nose on a snowman I was appliqueing. I found it in my scrap bag!
Also, it is nice to be able to help others on the board when they are looking for scraps. Someone just recently asked for salvage edges, so I decided to start saving those too!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

I save down to 2" squares until there are strips and then I save down to 1 1/2".When it comes to squares and strips I don't sort them by color but I so have all of my other scraps that are less than a FQ or Qtr yd in boxes by color. I am always going back to them for scrap blocks. I guess what you save depends on how much room you have to store them or how obsessed (I should say thrifty) you are.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

The only scraps I don't save are less than 2 inches. Then when Sometimes my scraps run to almost a yard. If don't particularily have something to do with it, it is scrap. When I have enough "scraps" I sell them.

Love the comments I get re: my scraps. Thank You very much!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Years ago when I was cutting blocks for quilts I cut the left overs into 2.5",2" and 1.5' squares and threw them into their separate bags and then when I didn't have a quilt to make I used those pieces to make rugs and tops for the toilet tank.The smallest ones I used for the top of the tank and the 2.5" ones for rugs. You can use whatever you want for the backs of rugs and tank covers. I have used denim and just about anything. If you want somethin on the back of the rugs to prevent them from slipping sew that on first. Fold your squares in half and start in the middle and leave the same amount of space on either end make a turn and come back up one side of your first strip and go back down the other side . Keep doing this until you have the whole piece covered. I'll try to post a picture of the tank cover.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-189408.jpe  
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Bev

Judy[/quote]
I have happily received packages of 'crumbs' from several members on this forum :-D . I just love rummaging through the package looking at all of my little treasures. I am addicted to making crumb quilts and now I think I will start saving for a postage stamp quilt....woo hoo.

As Bonnie Hunter says, "the fabric in the scraps costs just as much as the yardage that it came from" (not an exact quote). She makes "new" fabric from her scraps and then sew quilts from her "new" fabrics.[/quote]

Your blocks are so pretty. I love these scrappy blocks and try to make quilts with them as often as possible. Not only that, but when I give them to family they are always praised as though I had made a prize winner. 8-)
Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 PM

i save all the scraps i make fabric bowls to match what i made the person in mind. for example i am making a quillow for my son with matching dresser or tabletopper and when i am done will put the scraps into a bowl to set on the dresser or whatever, figure he can put keys, change whatever to gether instead of all over the dresser. if there is more material left he may get pillows to match too. when i am done not much material is left.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I save pieces 1 1/2 cut into squares. Put them into two containers, one light and one dark. Then I use them for leader/enders (per Bonnie Hunter) and call the result The Quilt that Made Itself.
I made one like yours and Bonnie's, using 2 1/2" sqs. Really fun and attractive. I don't have time for much smaller sqs than 2 1/2", but do a lot of crumb piecing, with 1" min, if brite enough to sparkle. Cant' bear to waste anything!! :D
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM

I save anything wider then 1" and longer 2"s
Wolflady
Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM

I save two and a half inch strips- the rest I give away. If its an odd shape or short piece I will never use it so its best to find it a new home! Scraps can really pile up!