Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who says there's no reason to pre-wash? >

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Who says there's no reason to pre-wash?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM

I think there are pros and cons to washing. Like if I was making a quilt as a gift, I would not wash it. For years I have washed fabric first because most quilt books say so. I have trouble getting all the wrinkles out of the material with my iron having steam on. If the pieces are wrinkled when you cut them you will not get as good of a fit when you are making the block. So after pre-washing for several years with no shrinkage in this modern age, quit. I will take my chances.
Have had to wash a couple of quilts because I could not get the disappearing ink out even after dampening the quilt.
IdahoSandy
Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 AM

I don't think there is a concrete answer to washing or not washing, I don't always prewash, unless it's red, green, black or I'm suspicious. I sometimes cut off a small piece, soak it in hot water for a few minutes, then lay it between 2 pieces of white paper towel to see if it has faded. I have been told that when you wash a whole quilt that the soap, not detergent, makes a big difference. A nationally known quilter told me that Dawn dishwashing soap is a good one to use, as well as Ivory and of course, Orvus. Orvus is the one I use 99% of the time. I also use it for better clothing that is washable. I bought a gallon of Orvus at a Vet/animal shop years ago and I'm still using it. So whether you wash or don't wash before you make your quilt, choose your soap carefully when the time comes to wash it when it done.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 AM

i love the wrinkled effect like the old antique quilts.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM

The main thing to keep in mind is to either prewash or don't...but don't mix both prewashed and unwashed cottons in a quilt...you won't like the results after washing the quilt.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:31 AM

I rinse and dry my fabrics...I use a lot of reds and even some of the best fabrics will bleed. I have never done a obw or pp or any of the stack and whacks, I will have to remember not to rinse and dry if I chose to attempt on of these.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM

I don't bother to pre wash. My quilts look fine after the first wash so I see no need. Yup, there is a little shrinkage but I am not all hung up on what size the final quilt is.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 AM

I did a similar test on some fabric and found a surprising amount of shrinkage in the width. I've always pre-washed fabric and am now glad I do. When I want a nice crinkly old-fashioned looking quilt I use cotton batting which provides a nice overall amount of shrink. But the shrink in fabric always seems to be just in width which could make a quilt wonky after washing the first time.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Interesting subject. I began washing fabric 30 years ago after a positive allergy test to formaldehyde. It is used in a vast amount of items. If you do a little research on this chemical, you may want to wash for no other reason than to get rid of the chemical before you start fondling and working with the fabric.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Sometimes the fabrics pull apart from the shrinking so that is one reason. The second I've heard is that the reds and blacks often run. I agree though, with earlier posts: no quilt police. ;0)
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Harriet Hargrave doesn't pre-wash and that's good enough for me. Even if a quilt shrinks some after washing it'll still fit the bed.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

I never prewash, although if I'm using pieces cut from old clothes, that fabric has most assuredly been prewashed. It would probably be best not to mix the two though. :shock: