Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and eye strain >

Quilting and eye strain

Quilting and eye strain

Old 05-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I have progressive bifocals and have to wear readers perched on the edge of my nose to do handwork. Just got perscription computer glasses and love them. No more stress headaches at work or on the forum.
Seriously there is such a thing?? Maybe I need to ask my eye doctor about these. I work on the computer 8-10 hours a day.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
I have progressive bifocals and have to wear readers perched on the edge of my nose to do handwork. Just got perscription computer glasses and love them. No more stress headaches at work or on the forum.
Seriously there is such a thing?? Maybe I need to ask my eye doctor about these. I work on the computer 8-10 hours a day.
Computer glasses are designed for a different distance of focus from reading glasses. Most people read at an average distance but it is to shorter distance than for a computer. Progressive lenses usually have the correct distance in the middle range of the lens but it is really only a small section of the lens. If you use a computer for long periods a single lens prescribed for the distance of computer use allows you to read the entire screen better with your head in a normal position. Well worth the money.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Oh, you sound like an eye doc. I just love mine. Keep a pair at work and a pair at home.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Originally Posted by chamby
Computer glasses are designed for a different distance of focus from reading glasses. Most people read at an average distance but it is to shorter distance than for a computer. Progressive lenses usually have the correct distance in the middle range of the lens but it is really only a small section of the lens. If you use a computer for long periods a single lens prescribed for the distance of computer use allows you to read the entire screen better with your head in a normal position. Well worth the money.
Ditto to what has been said above.
If you decide to get computer glasses, your optometrist will need to know the distance from your eyes to the computer monitor to determine what prescription you need for that distance. I have my computer glasses and it makes like SO much better!

Similarly, some people have sewing glasses ...etc.

Regarding readers ... the prescription is based on that approx. distance that's common ... if you are more comfortable with a different distance, again, measure and tell them what you need!