Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM

i go to the new walmart in Mt Vernon Washington. they have a pretty good fabric department. good prices too, though the last time I was there I noticed there was no one in that area. First time I had seen that. Lady is usually there to cut.. They had stacks of fleece too.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM

We have 2 Wal Marts. The "new" one removed their fabric dept.they just have FQ's and the 1 yrd cuts in their craft section. The "old one kept all their fabric.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM

LIKE was said above some are just putting in some hanging fabrics which I don't like at all, maybe for a small mug mat or table runner, but here in Olympia Wa a couple have kept there fabric dept you just have to be careful some is really thin
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Walmart has made a science out of studying what sells where. If something takes up too much floor space in proportion to the profit margin, they move it out in favor of stuff that does better. Another factor is that yard goods require the presence of an employee, unlike a lot of other items.

When I was young (ancient history) Sears, Wards and Penneys also sold fabric, and you could order it from their catalogs. There were also more local fabric stores, and they were thriving. Almost every woman could sew, and many did at least a little. Times have changed.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM

I know a lot of people buy fabric from Wal-Mart but after a very bad experience I had at one of the Potland area stores, I don't shop at any Wal-Mart no matter how inexpensive it is. The bad experience that I had did not involve fabric but a perscription. The fabric department in this store was not very good. Most of the fabric was on tables and NOT on the bolts. The quality was not very good and it looked like a hurricane had gone through the flat folded fabric. Worst of all, the store was dirty. The floor, counters, etc. I cannot shop for anything when it looks like that. I know not all stores look like this but when it's the only one in your area, what can you do? rather avoid it.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by newell
I know a lot of people buy fabric from Wal-Mart but after a very bad experience I had at one of the Potland area stores, I don't shop at any Wal-Mart no matter how inexpensive it is. The bad experience that I had did not involve fabric but a perscription. The fabric department in this store was not very good. Most of the fabric was on tables and NOT on the bolts. The quality was not very good and it looked like a hurricane had gone through the flat folded fabric. Worst of all, the store was dirty. The floor, counters, etc. I cannot shop for anything when it looks like that. I know not all stores look like this but when it's the only one in your area, what can you do? rather avoid it.
Try calling the 1-800-walmart phone number and complaining about the cleanliness of the store. Or you could ask for an address and take pictures and send them in. I haven't seen any bad Walmarts in my area. It's too bad yours is so bad. When you have a bad experience with a prescription, I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to the store.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lynn Luker
The Walmart on Centenniel has fabrics too. But, when I called to see if they were doing the block of the month, the girl who answered said they'd never heard of it! (so I'm not sure how big their selection is) I too have chased all over town to try and find fabrics. Thanks to all you Vegas quilters for the locations! I sure wish they would put more fabrics in more stores. And, then TELL us which ones have a more complete fabric department!
I was at the Centennial Walmart about a week ago...they have TONS of fabric
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by jshorty
Awhile back someone posted an article from Wall Street Journal stating that WalMart will be putting back fabric depts starting May 1st. I live in Las Vegas & have been to 6 different Super WalMart & non have put in fabric. I did find a small older store that had a few bolts but found they were the same price as JoAnn's. I just returned from San Antonio, Tx and they never got rid of their fabric in the first place. Does anyone have anymore info on this?
I was a WalMart Fabric Manager for 8 years....Three years ago they expanded our store to a Super Center and did away with the fabric and most of the crafts department. I had left before that all happened so it didn't affect me. I happened to stop in the store yesterday and an old friend of mine who is still a Manager asked me if I was coming back because they were bringing the fabric back. I dont know the details and they are not doing it in all areas but some stores will definately be getting Fabric back.

Here ia a link to the Corporate website and their press release regarding fabric...
http://walmartstores.com/Search/?q=f...&s=r&fd=a&fa=p
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Walmart in my town that did away with the fabric dept. is planning to put the fabric back after a remodel. Maybe the stores are waiting for their turn to be remodeled. It won't be a whole store remodel just rearranging of space to make room for the fabric dept again. Dumb Walmart.
We lost fabric in a remodel a couple years ago. The store is so messsed up now, I couldn't stand another remodel unless they tried toreturn to straight aisles, all going north and south again.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Sue
Originally Posted by jshorty
Awhile back someone posted an article from Wall Street Journal stating that WalMart will be putting back fabric depts starting May 1st. I live in Las Vegas & have been to 6 different Super WalMart & non have put in fabric. I did find a small older store that had a few bolts but found they were the same price as JoAnn's. I just returned from San Antonio, Tx and they never got rid of their fabric in the first place. Does anyone have anymore info on this?
I was a WalMart Fabric Manager for 8 years....Three years ago they expanded our store to a Super Center and did away with the fabric and most of the crafts department. I had left before that all happened so it didn't affect me. I happened to stop in the store yesterday and an old friend of mine who is still a Manager asked me if I was coming back because they were bringing the fabric back. I dont know the details and they are not doing it in all areas but some stores will definately be getting Fabric back.

Here ia a link to the Corporate website and their press release regarding fabric...
http://walmartstores.com/Search/?q=f...&s=r&fd=a&fa=p
well, that's amost two months old--------not seen any signs of a return to the good ole days, yet.