Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you feel women should cut their hair >

do you feel women should cut their hair

do you feel women should cut their hair

Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Interesting topic! I'm 40+ and have long hair. My husband wants me to have long hair - but that's not why I have it long. I have it long because I think that's how I look best. People always mistake me for being younger than I am - which I think is partly because of my longer hair (and partly because I refuse to grow up :D )

I grew up in the 80's, when perming and big hair was in. (lol) My mom kept cutting and perming my hair - and all i wanted was to grow it out long. Although the photos from that era of me are good for some laughs now. :D
Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 AM

As you as you look and feel great, what does it matter. Are there hair police too?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 AM

I had long hair - mid back - as a child... couldn't get it longer because my mother would "trim" it every 6 weeks... As an adult, it grew to hip length.. I would braid it and put it up because of the tangling, "hair drop" and general "keep it our of the way"...but with it that long,it is very heavy and has not lift so I look like a pealed onion... two years ago, dh asked me to cut it short so I did...
Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 AM

I LIKE SHORT HAIR SPECIALLY AFTER 40....I dont like long loose hanging grey hair or same in pony tai for sure to me it is for the young ones.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 AM
mim

I needed to find a hairdresser when I moved to WA this spring. I had a LONG chat with her about how I HATED the short hair "old lady" look and she agreed that she knew exactly what I meant and wouldn't do that.

Then she proceeded to cut 2 inches off into an "old lady" cut. I gave her a piece of my mind.

I used to have a Dorothy Hamel look when I backpacked and hostelled and cut it myself -- just try to tell a hairdresser what you want when you don't speak her language :lol: !!!

When I settled down I let it grow again.

Mim
Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

I am 50 and my hair is down to the middle of my back. I always wear it in braids because I can't stand to get it in my face. It is thick and heavy and boy oh boy sometimes I think I shed worse than my cats! It is pretty messy in the bathroom I am constantly picking up hair. But I only have to wash it 2X a week which is much better for our scalps. I have alternated between short and long my entire life. While I love the ease of short hair I hated waking up with "bed head" and having to go back to the hairdresser every 6 weeks or so for a trim. With it long I don't have to fuss with it, I just yank it back or braid it up.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 AM

My MIL had long hair well into her 80's. Down to her ankles when she washed it and let it dry. She finally became so frail she couldn't take care of it so she had it cut to shoulder length.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM

I actually wear my hair longer now (at 67) than I did when I was young. For all those busy years, working and raising children, I needed a haircut that I could wash in the shower, comb, fluff and go. Now, I have a little more time and I think the slightly longer hair (about jaw length) is softer and more flattering. Mostly, though, I think all those rules our mothers followed are out the window. What's important is that you like the way you look and feel.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 AM

Whatever you are comfortable with. Who cares what others think?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

I am 53 and have always had very short hair. I very simply do not like to mess with it. Wash, comb and go. I do color it, because I don't like the look of gray on me. But....I can't stand when people don't take care of their hair. Gray or white hair reacts differently....has a tendency to have a mind of its own. It also can look very stringy and dirty if not kept well, which is why I think most women keep their hair shorter as they age. Shorter gray hair is easier to manage and keep looking nice. Just my honest opinion.