Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extreemely dry hands >

Extreemely dry hands

Extreemely dry hands

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

http://www.sweenstore.com/sweencream.html

Try the link above and check it out. I use this for all sorts of sore skin and it works wonders. Was recommended by a nurse years ago and I keep it on hand all the time. It only takes a little dab and lasts a long time, non greasy, and has a clean odor... Used in hospitals for bed sores, etc. Good luck on finding something that works. We want you to be able to sew.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM

I don't like to have lotion on my hands when I'm sewing, afraid it might stain. I do use Curel Rich Defense, safe for sensitive skin all the rest of the time. It is fragrance free. It used to come in blue bottle, they have new bottle now. It helps!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM

Such WONDERFUL suggestions !!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM

I blamed fabric for my dry hands last winter, but it was the blue Dawn dishwashing liquid! It takes grease away really well, including out of your skin! Got pink Dawn with moisturizers and things improved gradually over a month.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM

use baking soda instead of soap to gently wash hands then use regular olive oil that you buy for cooking. It sounds greasy. It is a little at first but it soaks in quick.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM

It almost sounds like you are allergic to something in the hand cream. I love Neutrogena cream. The kind in a tube. It is really thick. I hate how it feels so I only use it at night. The other thing that I find works really well is A & D diaper rash ointment. Very greasy. Put it on at night with cotton gloves. Or see a dermatologist.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Just noticed there has been over 2200 views to this topic. I just home some of these suggestion are help other people whethere they are quilter/sewers or not. Thank you to EVERYONE who posted a suggestion or two. All of us who are DRY appeciate your help.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM

OK, here's another one.
Pure sweet almond oil. Should be used in the evening before going to bed and if neccesary in the morning as well. If I want to sew soon after applying it, I was my hands with a mild soap (just for a moment).
The oil is (over here) available at health (nature) stores.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
UMmm This Guy uses Aqua Four, it can be pruchased from walmart. My doctor reccomended it to me due to the extreme dryness I had to deal with. now I use it just be for I start piecing and my hands feel great during and after.
I was going to recommend this. Aquaphor is the correct spelling. When my DH got a tattoo, the guy there recommended it for healing the tattoo. DH never got a scab or anything with that stuff. It's thick like Vaseline, but with other stuff in it, and no scent, comes in a jar. Works like a charm!!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
from sewing. Llive in a desert..NM...and wonder if you gals have any ideas what I should use to moisturize. Udder balm isn't working like it used to. Right now I'm sitting here with band aids on 6 fingertips cuz they crack and bleed. Oh so sore. I even have med exam (no latex) gloves that I use...slather up hands and put the gloves on for overnight. Only feels good for a couple hours when I take the gloves off in am. Guess I just have to quit sewing for a couple days to for them to heal.

Alergic to perfumes in most hand lotions/creams. I do know that creams have more emolionts that lotions. Can't wait for suggestions.
Hydrocortizone helps heal. I use it for skin allergies. usually works over night.