Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ugly colors/motivation >
  • Ugly colors/motivation

• Ugly colors/motivation

Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 AM
    Power Poster

I like the yellow/green/purple colors. Nice job.
    Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM
    Power Poster

When I belonged to a guilt guild we made "charity" quilts for "David's House" - the equivalent of a Ronald McDonald House for the children at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Medical Center, Lebanon, NH. Because my friends knew I did they - they graciously gave me the outdated fabric that they had used for church fair projects. Well, one of the pieces was a mustard gold and red calico print. I decided to go ahead and face the challenge, when I found coordinating fabric in my stash. I forget the pattern I used, but when the colors began to give me a headache, I quit - winding up with a small crib-size quilt. I was surprised when a month or two later pictures came in with the children and the quilts they had chosen and there was the "ugly colored" quilt. Someone obviously loved the colors - so you never know what people will like. Wall colors can change frequently, so make the quilt in color more subdued. I'm sure they will like whatever you make.
    Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

here is an example of those colors that work for a baby:
    http://www.thefabriccorner.com/cgi-b...es=0&lastmenu=
    white is a great neutralizer and as karon 21195 suggested the contrasting side of the color wheel opens up all of the oranges and yellows...this could be fun-
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mariebaker
    here is an example of those colors that work for a baby:
    http://www.thefabriccorner.com/cgi-b...es=0&lastmenu=
    white is a great neutralizer and as karon 21195 suggested the contrasting side of the color wheel opens up all of the oranges and yellows...this could be fun-
    Marie!

that is the striping I chose!!!! It goes with the Jungle pattern I have a link to above! I think in the end it will be a nice quilt, though the "argyle green" backing may be bad, I chose it because it was on sale....and green...
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM

I've been agonizing over a baby quilt for my stepdaughter. She wants a jungle theme with Army colors (she's in the Army.). I am not fond of jungle themes, nor the colors she has chosen. Every block and pattern I've tried looks terrible. They are going to be here in July, and I haven't put anything together yet. I know how hard it is to feel motivated to make something you don't really like.
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
    I've been agonizing over a baby quilt for my stepdaughter. She wants a jungle theme with Army colors (she's in the Army.). I am not fond of jungle themes, nor the colors she has chosen. Every block and pattern I've tried looks terrible. They are going to be here in July, and I haven't put anything together yet. I know how hard it is to feel motivated to make something you don't really like.
    I think I would not like that at all, though I did see, in flannel on Fabric.com some very subtle camo prints in green....on a last chance sale too!
    Now, I like jungle theme, but I think I would be thinking that Mom is in the Army, not the infant!!!

I feel so much better knowing that many people have challenges sewing things they don't adore....
    Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Choose one of the colors only, then mix it with one or two others.

Or ... choose a print with a mostly ivory or white background that has olive green and/or mustard in the print. Then use one of the two colors for the other color in the patch.
    Maybe use the mustard yellow and olive green as accent colors. Babies prefer bright colors to pastels. If you are unsure of a main color they will work with ask for suggestions from the staff at the quilt shop that you can look at with the colors.
    If you are making one and hoping the baby/toddler will be taking it along, maybe avoid white.
    Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Actually, the combo of those colors could work well. If you study the color wheel, green and yellow are next to each other, or what they call analogous colors. Using analogous colors creates a soothing or calm feeling since the colors are closely related. By adding their complements (or opposites) from the color wheel, you add contrast. Reds, purples, and oranges run opposite. Mix in one (or some!!) of those, and it could be a very pleasing mix. You might have to play around with just the right shade or hue, but it could really work.
    Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM

ds wants purple and lime green. it is all cut out but not sewn yet its only been about 4 months now. its a quillow so i only need about a hour more but.........
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 PM

The olive and mustard with some tile red and indigo could make good looking applique in a folk design. Maybe primitive birds, animals, trees, and flowers on a more subdued background. I don't mind their chosen colors but I don't like the thought of a nine patch in olive/mustard. If you do feel nine patch is the way to go, perhaps some repro. 1930's prints with bits of mustard and olive included in some of them. Good luck.......and remember....... life is too short to labor over an ugly quilt.