Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing a mess!!!!!! >

sewing a mess!!!!!!

sewing a mess!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
Originally Posted by mountain deb
The dust bunnies have taken over, the dust is thick ( I save this for the garden-free soil), the kitchen is clean - that is where I entertain, soooo why worry about the rest of the house. he he
My Dust Bunnies all have names they've been here so long

:D
HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I just checked back to see what all the coments would be. Great of course. We have to remember this is not "a mess" but creativity at its best!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM

LET ME KNOW IT YOU FIND A SOLUTION. JUST PUT THINGS AWAY BECAUSE MY SON AND FAMILY EXPECTED FOR THE WEEKEND. HOWEVER JUST GOT A CALL AND THEY'RE NOT COMING AND TO THINK I WASTED A DAY.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM

as long as you can walk thru it , find everything you need and are able to sit at your sewing machine i would think it is organized!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I used to tidy up in there all the time then discovered it DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE, the room was back to its messy state in no time at all!! What a waste of time, takes me away from sewing. Now, I make an effort every few weeks or so to tidy up fabric. I do keep a bin near my sewing machine for bits and pieces, and a glass jar for old needles etc. Other than that - forget it.
Wow, that is me too. It's just me and my kitty here so if it doesn't bother us, no one else has a right to complain. Takes too long to put everything away just to drag it all out again the next day.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM

It happens to us all - and other craftsmen and artists too,
The nature of constructing something involves moving around lots of bits and pieces, and interacting with them, and them with tools!
That is supposed to be messy, in order to have the tools and materials within easy hand reach...
my only advice, is vacuum or sweep the floor now and then!
It will make the whole space look neater than it really is!
Jeannie
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM

if there weren't any mess...it wouldn;t be me
Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM

I clean and straighten my sewing room whenever I finish a quilt. However, when I'm working on one, you can't see the top of my cutting table or the top of the cabinet beside my machine. I just make sure I put my cutting tools up because of my grand daughter. She loves my sewing room!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 PM

I clean up as I go, putting up everything I will not use again real soon and clean up when you finish sewing. I can't work in a messy area.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 PM

...I think creative minds NEED a little disorganization.....
So go with the flow...and when you can no longer find your sewing machine, time to get out the leaf blower....uhhhh...organization skills.....
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 AM

There are times when my sewing room looks like a crazy woman has been working in it. However, I have to clean up and put everything back in place otherwise I can't bear to go into my sewing room. I can't stand starting a new project in the mess of the previous one.

Right now my sewing room is tidy and my DH wanted to know where everything went. I told him back where it came from. I try to be as organised as I can and I do have a place for everything and make a habit of putting things back where they live as I like to spent time sewing and not looking for things. I have spent countless hours over the years organising my sewing room. This is not to say that there are times when something in particular can't be found.
I try to aim threads and fabric scaps at the bin to minimise mess on the floor and sweep the threads dropped before I leave the room.

For example:I have my machine embroidery threads filed in numerical order and each container is marked with the thread numbers. I use the colour card to choose the thread and then can go to the exact location and when I put them away, they go back into the rightful container so they can be readily found again.

I am sure there is no perfect system just whatever works for you.