Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Musings re: stash and purchasing >

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Musings re: stash and purchasing

Old 07-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I stash for many reasons, one is when inspiration strikes , I can act on it without having to go to the store. I find it distracting sometimes to have to go and search out ... I am much more likely to finish a project if I can start when I really want .
I stash because over the years often when I see a fabulous fabric ... it will probably be gone when I finally figure out what I will do with it. So for me the process is different its fabric first .. Figuring out the project for the fabric is second.
Additionally I do not want to always pay full price .. so when I see a piece I know will have use on sale I buy it.
I use my stash for much more than quilting - it's for charity goods (pillowcases, ouch pouches, totes, stuffed bears, backpacks, etc.), clothing and toys for my grandchildren, doll quilts for my granddaughters and quilt show "auctions," small quilts for the ABC Project and N.I.C.U "residents" kitchen and table accessories for gifts/secret swaps, sewing notions, for swapping/bartering with friends and ANY kind of fundraising events that go on around me. I make and give - it hones my skills, justifies my "play time," keeps my heart open and a smile on my face - my stash works very hard for me and my community on many, many levels.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
What are your reasons for stashing or not?
I mostly stash blender material that I find on sale. I know I can use it any time and save my $$$ to buy that just-gotta-have-it focus material for the quilt I am planning right now. If I find that a blender isn't getting used for the front of a quilt, I can use it as a backing!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM

When I buy I usually have a plan but if I happen to see something I like I will if I have enough $$ buy something to make something out of it whether I do it or not is something else. I am the same with yarn but usually buy for a project and end up with extra to take back to the store but never do because I'll use it for something. Some days I look at something at home and don't like it but tomorrow I will like it go figure. Sue
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 AM

I STASH in a big way, but sometimes it is not my fault. If someone offers me free fabric, I have to take it, don't I? It would hurt their feelings if I did not take it. Other times, it is such a good buy or I do have a project in mind, I just can't resist.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Im not a stasher either. I have a little bit fabric laying around but I don't have shelves and shelves of material. I buy it as I need it.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM

i am not a stasher either. Cannot afford to be!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:41 AM

I have some fabric but does it qualify as a stash. I have lots of scraps. one yard or smaller. I just sorted my fabric and made it more accessible...Usesd those comic book boards. i have about three hundred pieces that are two yards or more. I will buy a piece now and than but try not too. I get a look that says I shouldn't buy any more.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

I have a small stash. I am getting ready to retire in December, and the way prices are going up, I decided to start a small stash of neutrals and a few (6-8) pieces of 3 yard prints that I love. I bought them all on sale. I do not live close to a quilt store so after retirement, I can use my stash instead of buying new at higher prices and using up gas! I know it won't last long, but until retirement I will buy what I can on sale when I see it.
Any scraps that I have I immediately cut into the largest strip, square or triangle that I can and store them in shoe boxes (with hot pink lids, of course!) for scrappy quilts and applique projects.
So, I normally do not buy material unless it is for a project, but am working on a small retirement stash!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 AM

I confess I am a fabricoholic, plain and simple. I have way more fabric than I can possibly use in my lifetime and yet I am constantly tempted to buy more cuz of new prints etc. I refrain the best I can.

I see nothing wrong with purchasing only what you need for a project. You are saving lots of money and space by doing it that way. you are the 'smart' quilter, LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM

I think people either do or don't have a material stash to fit their life style & personality. Whether you do or not still makes each of you a quilter. I have bought material for a quilt or quilts in the past and have found myself using it in other quilts because the material fit. It was also wonderful to get into my stash and make 2 baby quilts recently because at the time I didn't have the extra to go out and buy it - was grateful to have material on hand. I also made a quilt for my brother (my avitar)out of mostly scraps left over from other stuff, including old sheets that I had backed quilts with years ago. Think I bought 2 colors of less than a yard each. By the way, I tend to over buy yardage because there is nothing more frustrating than not having enough fabric for a quilt and/or fabric amount was figured way tooo close or not properly, or miscutting something & always figure any extra will go in some other quilt or project. Have learned not to throw away even 1" strips or smaller - they make great mini-quilts or strip quilts. Quilters are quilters - stash or not!