Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Well I guess that is why EQ5,6,7 were made. The problem being for me, at least is that altho I have both EQ6 and 7 I do not know how to use them.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM

I'm not just starting but I love the traditional patterns. Artsy quilts are lovely to look at but I have no desire to make one. The simple patterns are relaxing to make and so far, no one has complained that my quilts are too simple. Mixing up the colors in a traditional pattern is adventureous enough for me :)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:59 AM

I think the bottom line is you see such simple quilts because manufacturers want to sell fabric and lots of it. It is their advertising keeps the magazine afloat.

I get annoyed with those patterns that are simple but become complicated because they want you to use all 27 fabrics in that fabric line. I also think they are revisiting old, simple patterns to showcase the more modern, big patterned fabrics.

Just MHO.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

As a new quilter of about one-and-a-half years, and having never sewed before, I was intimidated by all the fancy patterns I saw, but forced myself to try some that were beyond my level of expertise. Now I know that a quilt has to "speak" to me and I can see my own colors incorporated into the pattern. The last two quilts I have made I designed myself. It's just a matter of knowing what you like and pushing forward.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM

I consider myself still new at quilting since I've only made 4 quilts and only three in the past year.

With that said, I shy away from traditional patterns or patterns you see everywhere. My first quilt was embroidered, my second was a hand appliqued quilt, my third was a twist around the garden with many many many changes, and my last was a small bargello that I designed.

So, I guess my style is: variations on a theme. I might like something and want to do it, too, but need to change it in order to say it's my own.

Right now, I'm working on a wall hanging for my sister. She's only in her 40's with stage 4 breast cancer and I want to make her something meaningful. Since she raised boxers, I found a picture of one, blew it up so to the size of a descent wall hanging, and made a pattern out of it.

These are the kinds of things I like. I do, however, like to look at all the beautiful projects NO MATTER what method all you delightful quilters use!!! Keep the quilt show going!

:thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Good luck to your sister. I'll say a prayer for her.

Sue
Originally Posted by Homemother
I consider myself still new at quilting since I've only made 4 quilts and only three in the past year.

With that said, I shy away from traditional patterns or patterns you see everywhere. My first quilt was embroidered, my second was a hand appliqued quilt, my third was a twist around the garden with many many many changes, and my last was a small bargello that I designed.

So, I guess my style is: variations on a theme. I might like something and want to do it, too, but need to change it in order to say it's my own.

Right now, I'm working on a wall hanging for my sister. She's only in her 40's with stage 4 breast cancer and I want to make her something meaningful. Since she raised boxers, I found a picture of one, blew it up so to the size of a descent wall hanging, and made a pattern out of it.

These are the kinds of things I like. I do, however, like to look at all the beautiful projects NO MATTER what method all you delightful quilters use!!! Keep the quilt show going!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Thank you Sue! She's doing great so far! Prayer is amazing!

Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
Good luck to your sister. I'll say a prayer for her.

Sue
Originally Posted by Homemother

Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM

I get irritated with the magazines sometimes too. I'll flip through a magazine and say, "Wait a minute. This is that quilt with a different fabric line!" Using a brand new fabric line on an old design and then calling it something different does not make it new!

What kind of quilts do I like to make? I design my own things, combining traditional blocks to create something new or making a entirely original block. Lately I have been planning on doing more "traditional" quilts including a Cathedral and a Winding Ways quilt. I've been getting into making t-shirt quilts...I made one out of Slipknot band t-shirts and been collecting Kittie band shirts (for myself) and Superhero/video game shirts (for godson) for future quilts. Right now I'm working on a massive stained glass quilting project that takes up a good portion of my sanity. Lately I've been straying away from my "White Stripes Color Scheme" (the band White Stripes only wore black, red, and white) and trying out new colors as well as choosing fabrics that are not true solids.

So I guess I do a little bit of everything. But definatly don't follow the magazines because I'd end up with a bunch of rail fences and log cabins.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:27 PM

i like pp the best so far. i like doing themed ones like houses, birdhouses,as wallhangings. just finished a farm scene one for a wallhanging and embellishing it with lamb,cat,chicken buttons. i am now trying to see how to get a horses head in the barn or maybe not. this one is for me for a change. i wish it dawned on me to take pictures of the ones i gave away.thats okay. i stick to smaller projects now. i can't put any on my own bed because the cats will just knead them to death. when we move i should have a few things for the walls anyway. the art work i have are all done by my uncles and one by my moms old teacher and are of the small town of bergheim germany. a couple by a freind who is a artist and a couple of my favorites my boys did. i can't paint so i do my wallhangings.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM

To me the quilt is more about the choices of the fabric and the way I combine them. My grown daughter like "random" quilts and I try to make each one with a little different shape (strips, squares, triangles,tumblers) but basically they are all the same style. She loves the fabrics and therefore the quilts. I have not been quilting all that long and still like the more simple approach to make myself, but I love to see something complicated somebody else has done.