Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM

The picture of your design is awesome. I think intermediate
quilters might stay away because it looks complicated to
make.
I do look for something different than another square block.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

I like easy quilts...nine patch, ohio star, pinwheels and combinations of easy blocks. I don't quilt for shows. I just quilt for family, friends and charity, so the quicker and easier is best for me. I really admire some of the beautiful and complicated quilts some of the ladies do and so enjoy looking at them, but I just don't have the patience to work one that takes so much time. Just my own personal preference.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Some of us quilters are just not patient enough to make beautifully designed quilts. I prefer those that go together (mainly rectangles and squares) rather easily and quickly but must admit that I'm a new quilter. I think stars will be my next attempts but I already have magazines and books with many intermediate and advanced patterns. I am amazed at quilts that are truly works of great art.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 PM

The magazines I have read seem to offer patterns or information for the beginner through to the advanced quilter. Every year seems to be the same or similar pattern but in a different colour way although I do see something new every now and then. I think the magazines are more geared though towards simple/quick to make for the less experienced so as to sell.

I have also found that when I have liked something in a magazine enough to make it up not all the instructions are written in there or clear so I need to tweak it a bit to finish the quilt or what ever I am making. Their editors and proof readers need educating.
Mind you I have paid for patterns that are just as bad so who knows?

As the the question - I like to make mainly traditional style, quilts though on occassion will jump out of my comfort zone and try something new.

Maybe1day
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

While I agree that you see simpler quilts in a lot of the magazines, but the ones that I subscribe to also have quilts that are a little bit more challenging. When teaching new quilters to quilt, you need to have blocks that are easily made, easy to put together, and most of all something that can be done in a short amount of time. I've been quilting for over 25 years and while there are times I like to be challenged in making a quilt, other times I want something that can be done quickly and easily. I recently made the Sister's Choice block for our family reunion quilt in memory of my sister. This block appeared many years ago in an older quilt magazine that I had kept. That particular magazine also had a "what if" segment about how you could make that block uniquely your own. Although Sister's Choice was a traditional quilt block, it kept appearing in newer and newer magazines, and always with a new twist. When I began to see that block over and over - I knew it was the block to use. The quilt turned out even better than I hoped and my family loved it, as well as my niece who won the quilt. I believe there are new quilt magazines out there with more advanced projects so keep an open mind and you will be inspired to make that unique quilt.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks needles3threads! My design is actually pretty easy if you know how to paper piece. It took almost as long to choose the fabric as it did to piece it!
Originally Posted by needles3thread
The picture of your design is awesome. I think intermediate
quilters might stay away because it looks complicated to
make.
I do look for something different than another square block.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
As a designer I am at a loss right now. I go out of my way to design things that no one has ever seen before and I am always amazed when I open a brand new magazine and see square in a square quilts again and again! New fabric lines or different sizes don't make it a new design. Who needs a pattern for this? Unless you started quilting today its not that difficult.

Am I missing something? Is this what quilters want?

I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Sue
I like the simple designs and let the gorgeous fabrics do the 'talking'...
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 PM

This is the kind of quilt I like to design. I don't use any traditional blocks when I design since I don't think I would enjoy making half square triangles, square in a square or Ohio Stars over and over again but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it.
May be that we aren't all as talented as you.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Its not a question of talent, its a question of desire. Do you prefer things are easy or do you like a challenge once in awhile? As a designer, I feel it is my job to create designs that are accessible to almost anyone. None of my designs are difficult or require a lot of skill. If you can count, in most cases no higher than 7, and sew on a drawn line on a paper pattern you could make my quilt.
Originally Posted by Grambi
This is the kind of quilt I like to design. I don't use any traditional blocks when I design since I don't think I would enjoy making half square triangles, square in a square or Ohio Stars over and over again but the big names do it again and again and people eat it up. I just don't get it.
May be that we aren't all as talented as you.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

This topic has been on other website. I don't understand how people can take an old pattern and make it from different material and then call it new and make money off it.

Many time I have looked at patterns and said "Self why would I buy that?" I have the same pattern in several books but not in that fabric.

I want to see new patterns that are a new challenge other landscapes and such. Not that there is anything wrong with Landscapes I love them but I have not taken the time to try one yet.

Quilterfay