Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt? >

Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt?

Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 AM

I actually put one off for years (note the plural form of year!)...finally did it when I was doing another quilt binding and thought...I may as well do it now and get it over with! LOL Have been using that quilt ever since!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM

I don't do binding.....at least so far on my larger quilts. I have a gal who works at my LQS who does all mine for me. I do not care for hand work. I am only just learning to do binding on my smaller projects.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Oh my, you must be reading my mind. I just took a break from making my binding for my king size quilt. This is my first quilt and I really have myself dreading this part. But thanks for the ideas and I will persevere. I've been reading all the great posts and the ideas sure help, thanks and I will try to post a picture when it is done.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM

DH made me an portable extension for the left side of my sewing area, and that helps take care of the weight, so I'm not always tugging at the quilt when sewing the binding on my king and queen quilts.

I always make my binding - once I have completed the top of each quilt, wrap it onto a empty circular tube (wax paper tube, etc) and label it so when I get the quilt sandwiched and quilted, I go into my binding drawer and there it is all ready to be sewn on. (I usually have about 10 or so bindings completed and just waiting to get back my sandwiched and quilted quilts - that's why they need labels).

Mitered corners I have finally mastered - a friend told me before I get to the corner to be mitered - stop 1/4" from the edge and TAKE IT OUT OF THE SEWING MACHINE.
Fold the binding up even with the sewn down binding (which you just stitched down, (SHOULD BE ON YOUR LEFT SIDE), fold over the piece to be next sewn down ON YOUR RIGHT SIDE - make sure it is even with that (YOUR LEFT) edge and then put your needle in the next (YOUR RIGHT) side starting off the edge of that binding, stitch down the next (YOUR RIGHT) side of your binding. It really works well for me. I'm not really great at putting down in words how to do something....but I hope you can figure out this procedure.

I love to hand sew the binding onto the finished quilt, I find it relaxing.

Your quilt is beautiful, love the colors you used.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

I wish I lived closer to you--I would do it for you. I love to bind. I just finished binding a quilt last night--it's just such a relaxing time for me and to know as soon as I am done the project is finished and I can go on to other projects!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Man if I could trade quilting services for binding services I'd be a happy camper. I like hand sewing but have never attempted hand quilting. Not sure why?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM

I never have trouble with the bindings. I love putting them on and sitting and hand stitching them down.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
I LOVE to bind! I usually take home 2-3 philanthropy quilts a month from my guild to put some binding on. I'll search out that perfect fabric and pay whatever it takes to frame each masterpiece. It's the last chance to enhance its personality.
I've developed 9 different ways to create binding, some of which use two fabrics. It was suggested by some that I write a book. Yeah....no. Three of my methods I have since seen elsewhere in quilt books, so I guess I can't claim originality... Great minds think alike! HA!
I'm curious to see the different type of bindings you do. Could you post some pics?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM

The part of binding I dont like is sitting with it on my lap. Its too hot and bulky and a pain to get up and down, setting it aside, going back to it and finding where I left off. I changed to putting it on a table, spreading it out and stitch along.i also changed to the glue method and absolutely will never apply it any other way again. Eliminates pins and clips.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 AM

I really like making a double sided binding when what would look good on the front would look iffy on the back and visa versa. When I enter quilts for competition, I always get good comments from the judges.