Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine >
  • My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

• My Daughters' Heritage: Their Great-Grandmother's 1917? Western Electric Sew-EZ Sewing Machine

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
    Have you thought about removing the motor and making it a hand crank? It already has the spoked hand wheel which is needed for the hand crank. Just a thought.
    She certainly is one beautiful machine!!!!
    Well I guess someday that might have to be done, if the little motor ever gives out. The electricity is part of this little beauty's history though. The National Sewing Machine Company lays (semi-desputed) claim to having produced the very first electric sewing machines with these made for Western electric. Plus, that is how Great Grandma Carmella used the machine. So we kind of like it like that for now.
    Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 PM

Oh, that is just breath-taking. How lucky you are!!!! The rest of the family does not know what they are missing.
    Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
    LOVE the machine! Also enjoyed reading the ad - I agree with the ad, when I acquire a "labor saving device" such as a vintage sewing machine, I do "feel more content". But then I just want another! LOL Congrats on the save, I love to see vintage machines go to someone who appreciates their history!
    Originally Posted by marmalade
    Now THAT is a family heirloom!!!!
    Thank you for sharing the pics and the advertisement.
    Your daughter is going to be very happy!

Yes, yes, Linda, that kind of contentment does lead to looking for more! ;) And you are right about it being a family heirloom Marmalade!
    I thought I would post a couple more pictures of vintage ads about this machine. I get a big kick out of reading them and clearly you did too.

1918 Western Electric Sewing Machine Ad
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]249138[/ATTACH]

1918 Western Electric Sewing Machine Ad
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]249139[/ATTACH]

1965 Western Electric Ad with Sewing Machine
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]249140[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-249132.jpe   attachment-249133.jpe   attachment-249134.jpe  
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    I have found that a good LQS will know who in the area works on sewing machines. We have an excellent fellow in NW Wisconsin. He replaced my cracked, dangerous electrical cord on my old Singer, when I first got it to him for a general tune-up, since it had been unused for a couple of decades. I would find a great guy like that, and let him bring this beauty up to snuff.
    Leslie, I am hoping we managed to do just that today.

My SIL and I took the Sew E-Z today to a LQS that is known for its LAQ and for it's two very experienced sewing machine repair technicians. When we walked in, the shop was very quiet. Then a couple of people began buzzing around us. Next thing you know, they had opened the case and had the machine out and my SIL and I were surrounded by people all talking at once. Then they called the two older fellows from the back who do the servicing. They came right away, one saying “I never heard of a sewing machine called a “Little Beauty”! ;) We are surrounded by excited people, all talking at once. I was lucky my SIL came, since I can’t hear well. But the reaction was very fun to see. And we think they will take good care of her. I wonder what my daughter is going to name her?

Originally Posted by annthreecats
    Wow, that machine is beautiful. I hope you are able to get it ready for your daughter to take home with her.
    Ann - the repair technicians are going to try. I hope so too!
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    I don't know if you had cleaned it up any, but the sewing machine looks brand new. What a great piece of your family's heritage. Too often I have kicked myself for not paying more attention when I was younger, especially when my Mom wanted me to have something. Both my parents have been gone almost 40 years and I will always miss them. Sometimes I wish they could come back for just a short visit to answer questions or just to reassure me that things will be all right when things get difficult. You're lucky to have daughters that cherish their ancestry and the heritage they bring to your family.
    I do the same thing Marge. If we only knew then what we know now… I think like that often, about wishing I had taken more time to sit with my dear ones and listen to their stories.
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
    Originally Posted by lovelyl
    LOVE the machine! Also enjoyed reading the ad - I agree with the ad, when I acquire a "labor saving device" such as a vintage sewing machine, I do "feel more content". But then I just want another! LOL Congrats on the save, I love to see vintage machines go to someone who appreciates their history!
    Originally Posted by marmalade
    Now THAT is a family heirloom!!!!
    Thank you for sharing the pics and the advertisement.
    Your daughter is going to be very happy!

Yes, yes, Linda, that kind of contentment does lead to looking for more! ;) And you are right about it being a family heirloom Marmalade!
    I thought I would post a couple more pictures of vintage ads about this machine. I get a big kick out of reading them and clearly you did too.
    :thumbup: Glad I don't live west of the Rockies! I would have to pay $2 more for shipping! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, love the ads!
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    Oh, my heavens! Did you strike the jackpot, or what? That is just a most beautiful vintage machine and maybe the vest shape I have ever seen. Consider yourself blessed.
    Originally Posted by decky
    There is a group on yahoo for vintage machines that may be able to give you some info about your wonderful looking machine.
    Originally Posted by sylviasmom
    I have a White Rotary about same age with similiar case. I had it rewired because I also was leary of the wiring. Afterwards I found on the internet I could have gotten thread wrapped wiring very mininually and kept the authenic look. Does the needle plate on your machine tell you what size needles to use? Beautiful machine. Lucky daughter.
    Thanks for the info on the cord!

Originally Posted by sewmorethings
    Wow i would have that baby appraised by an aqntique dealer, you may want to get additional insurance on it. I doubt it could ever be replaced in case of theft or fire. It sure is a beauty.
    Yup, We know we are very blessed and it does seem like hitting a jackpot. My daughter is very happy about it and will take good care of it too. We know who to thank for this blessing too - My husband's dear aunt and grandmother who each took such good care of it. And yes everybody - they used the machine!
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM

I usually have no interest in vintage machines but this one is absolutely gorgeous - and the case is wonderful.
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM

I read the add and it is great
    Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Awesome