Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

lost of very dear quilting friend in feb her dd put a quilt on her casket she was a amazing quilter
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Friends did this for their Mom several years ago.
And since then, several others have followed with one or several quilts on display!

At another funeral this past spring, the lady had been working on a quilt, with one block left to finish. They had the quilt at the funeral, and the one last block in her hand in the coffin. Since then her DIL completed the quilt for her. Then her husband (son of) decided it HAD to be shown at the Fair, just as Mom always would have done so. And so it was, winning a ribbon!! What a beautiful story, and perfect ending!! :)

What heart warming ideas.

As a sidestep here ... when my husband died, I didn't have the traditional casket spray, rather chose a milker with a bouquet worked in the top of it. We set it on the floor right next to the casket!! His tombstone is not traditional either ... rather an oversized rock from our farm that I had mounted, and with an engraved cow, and our farm name. The traditional details are on mounted on the base.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Banned

It's done all the time. Several years ago Betty Boyink wrote a little book that delt with such quilts.
They drape caskets with flags - why not quilts.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Banned

type in "casket quilts" into search and you will find lots of information including a company that will make them.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM

I think this is a lovely thing to do. Having someone that loved the deceased do this would be especailly nice. I think though that quilts would have to be prepared in advance and like the one lady said, do one for yourself, to represent that you were a quilter. It is a tender memeorial to give to family members. I am all for it.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Originally Posted by vagabondmom
That's a lovely idea. The nursing home where first my mother, then my father 4 months later died had a tradition when a patient died. When the funeral home came to get the body, the nursing home had a special quilt they used to cover the body as it was wheeled to the hearse. Then the quilt was placed on that person's bed and left for 24 hours so that any staff that had not been on duty at the time would know why that bed was empty. That was just one of the traditions that nursing home had for a death.
What a lovely thing to do. I am going to mention that to the seniors/care home here. I belong to a society that supports the residents and we are always looking for ways to provide support and maybe we should think about making a quilt for that purpose. By the way, the deceased has to be wheeled right thru where other residents may be sitting.
In the home where I worked, We had a white bedspread that we put on the bed after they past and then we would lay a red silk rose on the bed.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by New Quilter
Here in So. Jersey, most people choose to send most of the baskets of flowers to area nursing homes (as well as to churches if it'll be close to a Sunday service)...so at least the flowers are given the chance to be enjoyed be others...the spray of flowers across the top and/or the inside from the immediate family are left to blanket the top of the grave...but I also love the idea of a small lap quilt to go on your loved one...Naomi
I always thought that was a nice idea also till mom was in a nursing home. The residents, whenever they saw flowers, would ask who died and then they got really sad.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:03 PM

This is going to sound very macbre but I have both the ashes of my husband of 48 years and my 44 year old son in a bank safety deposit box for now.I'm hoping to move to MT. and they will go with me. I think I will make a quilted bag for each of them when I get settled. I had never heard of casket quilts before and I thank all for giving me the idea. My hubby was a limo driver for years so his will be car related and my son was into camping and fishing. Thanks again for the idea.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I think this is a super great idea....Since I am going to be cremated, I could make one to be wraped in, inside my cardboard box....and make a bag to hold the container of my ashes......As I am writing this....I am thinking...I have my husbands box of ashes, currently sitting on my fireplace mantle...and upstairs I still have a bunch of his shirts I used to make quilts for his grandchildren. I think I will make that bag for him next....the anniversary of his death is tomorrow so he will have a 'new quilt' to keep him warm.
I am thinking a large circle with a drawstring.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh an idea is born....will post pics... Please do not think I am morbid, as I am not, I was married to my childhood sweetheart for 43 years and lost him to an extremely un-expected heart attach.... I talk to him every night and he watches TV with me.....
And the nice thing is - he doesn't talk during the programs or flip channels on you now! :)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 PM

When my DH died last year I put his favorite quilt on the casket. It was beautiful and drew lots of positive comments. It didnt go with him though!