Wild Animals Loose in Ohio

Old 10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

This is a tragedy - especially for the animals.

But when one thinks about it - how many more humans are killed by other humans than by animals?

Laws can only do so much. I don't think it's possible to legislate sanity or sense.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
This is a tragedy - especially for the animals.

But when one thinks about it - how many more humans are killed by other humans than by animals?

Laws can only do so much. I don't think it's possible to legislate sanity or sense.
I agree, but they need to put a stop to the animal auctions. It might make it much more difficult to obtain animals they shouldn't have.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Haven't heard or read -

How did this person acquire so many animals?
How did he keep them fed?

Even the public zoos are requesting donations to help maintain the facility.

I just have two house cats for pets - and maintaining them is costly enough.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
We live less than 3 miles from the farm where the animals were kept.Lions, tigers,bears & wolves are on the loose. Schools all closed & ppl are told to stay inside.Scary stuff!
Please stay in and stay safe.!!! I've been keeping up with it on TV. Horrible to keep rare and exotic animals some almost extinct caged like that. Will animals definitely belong in the wild and their natural habitat I think. They are beautiful to view in a zoo, but better on t.v. in their natural habitat by a great photographer.
Just this week 85 miles from here, there was a young boy that was grabbed apparently by a lion that was caged and badly hurt.From what I could understand from news broadcast the child got too close to the cage. The lion was put down. No One needs to keep wild animals near other residents.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Haven't heard or read -

How did this person acquire so many animals?
How did he keep them fed?

Even the public zoos are requesting donations to help maintain the facility.

I just have two house cats for pets - and maintaining them is costly enough.
I don't know how he could afford it, but they said on tv that he acquired most of them by going to animal auctions. Supposedly they are going to stop all animal auctions in their state immediately.
He also was just released from prison and they said the person who was supposed to being taking care of the animals for him did a very poor job. They said it disgusting to see how filthy it was.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM

I don't understand why this man was allowed to keep these animals. since he was in jail for not taking care of them properly, the animals should have been taken away. Plenty of zoos would have taken them, especially the rare bengal tigers. But I do agree, people and their safety first.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

It breaks my heart that yet again animals had to suffer and lose because of the selfish behavior of a human. I don't like it but I understand and agree that the sheriff deputies had to do what they had to do. Even Jack Hannah understood and agreed with the distruction of the animals as being necessary.
I heard on the news Ohio is the worst offender in the laws preventing private citizens from owning exotic animals of this kind. That they had some laws and the new govenor vetoed them somehow. I bet he is singing a different tune now. These are animals, who should never be held in captivity by people who think they know what they are doing. Hasn't it been proven by now that even the so called experts have fallen victim to the dangers of a wild animal held in captivity and those in the wild to for that matter.

I hope they got them all rounded up and everyone will soon be able to get back to normal.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Total tragedy!! I saw Jungle Jack on the morning news and you could see how upset he was over all the killings. I hope they push through the revised exotic owners bill soon. I understand the owner did have the appropriate permits, but he clearly was not an appropriate owner! 18 bengal tigers dead! Aren't they on the endagered species list??
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
It breaks my heart that yet again animals had to suffer and lose because of the selfish behavior of a human. I don't like it but I understand and agree that the sheriff deputies had to do what they had to do. Even Jack Hannah understood and agreed with the distruction of the animals as being necessary.
I heard on the news Ohio is the worst offender in the laws preventing private citizens from owning exotic animals of this kind. That they had some laws and the new govenor vetoed them somehow. I bet he is singing a different tune now. These are animals, who should never be held in captivity by people who think they know what they are doing. Hasn't it been proven by now that even the so called experts have fallen victim to the dangers of a wild animal held in captivity and those in the wild to for that matter.

I hope they got them all rounded up and everyone will soon be able to get back to normal.
Former Gov. had a signed temporary law concering exotics. current gov. did not extend it because it was considered un-inforceable. Now i don't know if thats true,but agree this state needs to crack down on it. there is an auction held here twice a year where you can buy all kinds of animals.

That's where my "friends" acquired their fox, wolves and bear as well as some badgers. but it's "OK" because they have studied up on how to care for them-NOT!
yes, their attitude angers me.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Kasich has a problem with the O.D.N.R., thats who is supposed to regulate wildlife matters. Because Thompson had already been convicted of animal cruelty that would have given them the right to take the animals away from Thompson under the bill Strickland issued. But that bill expired May 1st 2011, because Kasich let it expire. I put the death of all those beautiful animals on Kasich's shoulders. where it belongs. The only thing to be thankful about is that no human life was taken in this situation it could very easily happened.