Wild Animals Loose in Ohio

Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 AM

As I understand it, the police arrived, the animals were out and heading for the woods. You can't ask the animals to sit down quietly while the police go and find tranquilizer guns. They had to deal with the situation immediately.

This sounds like a typical animal hoarder - they are completely mixed up as to what is in the animals' best interest. They feel THEY are the only ones who can take care of the animals.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:01 AM

Jack Hanna is truly saddened by this! Many years ago at the start of his career, he was at CEDAR POINT in Sandusky, OH. His assoiciation w/ the COLUMBUS & SAN DIEGO zoos, & getting out there to promote animals & their preservation,only shows how deeply he cares about them! To think he is getting death threats because he said officers, had no choice! I see a live interview w/him- it will haunt him ALWAYS, but he realizes HUMAN life must be protected! I'm sure he will help PUSH OHIO to curb our exotic animal laws. We have the most loose laws in the country, for owning them. No reg citizen needs to own these exotics, it only puts the animals & PEOPLE at risk! SUCH A TRAGEDY ON ALL POINTS!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM

I live about 45 miles from where this happened. It worried me because these animals can travel a long ways when they are looking for food. Be very careful. I was glad that they closed the schools.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

i just hope they change the laws. people keep saying the laws aren't tough enough, change them!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 AM

We live up near Toledo, and for a month, my husband and son have planned a golf trip to Zanesviile.
Somehow, they didn't think this was the perfect opportunity to use the 'concealed carry' permit they have.

Guess now it's ok. But I told my husband, no going into the woods for balls, just take the hit on the scorecard. Or try to stay on the fairway?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM

I heard on ABC News Jack Hanna mentioned that while tranquilizing could have been an option, sometimes it doesn't work because the shot doesn't hit the muscle but on the bone instead. And it's also dangerous for the inspector to check if the animal is really tranquilized or just merely down....so it could attack during the inspection. It's such a shame that these exotic animals were killed but the choice to protect human life was priority with the law enforcement officials. A very scary situation and very sad, too.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Sounds like they have killed most of them. I dont want anyone to be hurt but I still think they could have used tranqualizer guns since they said that most were killed while standing right outside their cages. If Ohio is still planning to let people own any kind of wild animal then every police dept needs to stock up on tranqualizer guns. I heard that anyone can even buy a wild animal at auction. I dont even think animals should be kept at zoos. I am so sick of hearing about people who thinks its cool to have wild animals and then everyone is so surprised when the animal kills them. Then the poor animals are put down for just being what they are. Wild**
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by bakermom
while there are well run private sanctuaries, I don't think "John Doe" needs to own exotic animals. I live in a semi-rural area and people around here would be suprised how many exotics are being kept in the area. all you need is an enclosure and a perimeter fence.

I know one family that feels it is their "right" because they "know" how to care for them(because they've read up on it)Seriously?? that is STUPID. PERIOD!
this is what I meant, obviously a zoo or private sanctuary is a business/organization, not an individual. There is some oversight.

I should have said "individual private property".

I don't care for zoos either but they don't make me feel unsafe as I would if my neighbor had wild animals.
I knew what you meant-it's the individuals that make me angry.
what some people don't seem to get is, this was discovered shortly before dark. Yes many were still on or near the property and the cages, but these animals move fast. Can cover large areas in a short period of time. One tiger was chasing horses nearby. It could just as easy been a child.
Would the people that are so bent out of shape by the killings be willing to sacrifice their loved ones or even pets so officials could tranquilize/capture these animals? The sheriff and others did the best they could in a bad situation.
It makes me angry to read the comments in the news about them being "trigger happy." REALLY?? we were very lucky the only deaths were the animals, not one of the men and women trying to protect the community. There is only one person to blame for all of this.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.
I am from Ohio and completely agree with this post. There are more regulations for dogs and cats in this state than for keeping wild/exotic animals. Notice I said animals. They are NOT pets!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Linn
Sounds like they have killed most of them. I dont want anyone to be hurt but I still think they could have used tranqualizer guns since they said that most were killed while standing right outside their cages. If Ohio is still planning to let people own any kind of wild animal then every police dept needs to stock up on tranqualizer guns. I heard that anyone can even buy a wild animal at auction. I dont even think animals should be kept at zoos. I am so sick of hearing about people who thinks its cool to have wild animals and then everyone is so surprised when the animal kills them. Then the poor animals are put down for just being what they are. Wild**
Well said!!! This is a must see documentary...
http://www.thecovemovie.com/