Wild Animals Loose in Ohio

Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.
It is stupid to allow any wild animals to be kept on private property, PERIOD.
FYI Many zoos and animal parks are considered private property and not paid for with tax dollars. Think Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom and Seaworld. The Bronx zoo is run by the Wildlife Conservation Society, a non profit PRIVATELY held entity as is the property where the Bronx zoo is located.

While this is a tragedy, do not make such blanket statements. There are loads of privately owned, well run animal sanctuarys out there. Making a blanket statement like that without even doing a google search and having such narrow minded beliefs is stupid. PERIOD.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM

while there are well run private sanctuaries, I don't think "John Doe" needs to own exotic animals. I live in a semi-rural area and people around here would be suprised how many exotics are being kept in the area. all you need is an enclosure and a perimeter fence.

I know one family that feels it is their "right" because they "know" how to care for them(because they've read up on it)Seriously?? that is STUPID. PERIOD!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Wondering if there's any safe place to keep wild animals.Zoos have also had problems.Most are in a city,so that could be even worse.

Just recently,very near this area, a man was feeding wild animals & a kangaroo went for him......was seriouly mauled.Seems like we need rules, since common sense is so rare.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Latest news says some of the animals are being sent to the zoo. Others were destroyed & now there's only one on the loose. A monkey with a dangerous disease.Hope ppl will report any sightings & keep their kids well away from it.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by muddlingabout
Stupid - state law allowing exotic animals to be kept on private property, even back yards, then not requiring any sort of plan to be in place for the event of escape. Tragic for the animals that have been killed because they behaved like wild animals. Certainly hope no additional people are injured.
Agree with you. Wild animals, local or exotic should NOT be bred or sold as pets.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I first found out about this from Kay Baxters FB page. It is near her. Of course she is worried about her ponies. So scary!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 AM

i heard this morning that 49 out of 56 animals were killed. i think its sad......the animals dont know any better.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 AM

I am just listening to the radio and they are talking about this. It is hard to believe that this happened. Stay inside and safe.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 AM

The Columbus OH local tv is saying all the animals have been either shot or (a few) taken to the columbus zoo. The monkey they thought was still out there now they think it was the one that one of the large cats had killed earlier yesterday.
I feel awful for the animals and the law officers. They didn't want to shoot them, but I think they did what is right and needed.
The owner set these animals free before his suicide and sentenced them to death. I blame him.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:10 AM

Stay inside and keep safe. Worried about you and the others in your area.