Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it worth saving? >

Is it worth saving?

Is it worth saving?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm new to quilting also. I have seen many pictures of quilts like that and worse, and the people have used them as fabric to make things out of like teddy bears and such. Looked really cool and you can cut around the damage.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

If it makes you happy to bring this quilt back to life, go for it. It doesn't look in so bad a shape as to not be repairable.
You will also learn alot by taking this project on. It is a cute quilt and worth the care you are offering it! As for age?
peace
Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM

I would try to fix it. It's a beauty.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scrappy2
Judy,
What kind of stuff do you get to get the aging stains out?
you can buy RESTORE, but you can also use oxyclean and soak it for a few days in a garbage bag, or you can use PLAIN denture cleaner tablets...NO minty stuff as it turns colors and can make things worse..the cheap plain ones from the $ store work great!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Judy,
you can buy RESTORE, but you can also use oxyclean and soak it for a few days in a garbage bag, or you can use PLAIN denture cleaner tablets...NO minty stuff as it turns colors and can make things worse..the cheap plain ones from the $ store work great!!!
Thanks for the info :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Your plan is the way to go but remember, if you're going to tie it use something as filler that will not separate. That's what our predecessors did when making a tied quilt/comforter. They used old quilts, worn out blankets or clothing, etc. "Saving" a quilt
is a lot of fun.

Do you have the funky fabrics you need? I have some, PM if you need any.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AprilG
Originally Posted by romanojg
I'd definitely repair it. I rescued one recently fromt the 20 to 30's and I have to repair part of it and just got stuff to get the aging stains out of it. This quilt still has alot of long years of comfort to give.
What do you use to get the stains out of your old quilt? I have Granny's quilt and it has rust stains.
forgive if this is a duplication...product called Whink....brown plastic bottle in the cleaning fluid section of most grocery, hardware and drug stores. get area wet, directed, squeeze bottle, rust will melt away immediately....now rinse, saturate affected area thoroughly and then lay wet area over screen, drying rack, cake rack...even an oven shelf.....it will dry twice as fast and you will not have to wash entire quilt... just make sure to rinse thoroughly the entire area that Whink touched, plus a few inches all round it.....i'm 65 and my mom told me she used it before i was born. i have never had any adverse reactions but of course it is always wise to test in an inconspicuous spot...
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by plmsmith
Yes all quilts are worth saving
NO..not always...we like to think they are..but honestly even the textile historians will tell you that there are many that simply can not be saved.
And that is my question: When is it time to "retire" a quilt? Why would every quilt need to be "rescued"? Am I too unsentimental, with no regard to the hard work and time that goes into making a quilt? I don't think so. I just think each piece has a life span.
i understand what you are saying, but if you come across pieces like this in your life, please look up a quilt group, there will be someone who would love to re-do it and would hate to think of a piece being discarded just because it was in a different family... and as i said earlier....please document everything you know about your pieces, whether they are being worked on or not.... our children tend not to ask till they are middle aged themselves....get those details down now...your children may never ask and then that quilting/handwork gene will pop up in a grandchild or great-grandchild and they will have no info and no one to ask....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
I'd definitely repair it. I rescued one recently fromt the 20 to 30's and I have to repair part of it and just got stuff to get the aging stains out of it. This quilt still has alot of long years of comfort to give.
Judy,
please see message earlier (from me) that details rust stains...however, if there are large watery looking light brown stains, they are often food or cardboard stains and most will come out with lemon juice and sunlight.... even if you have to do it more than once, it is pretty safe on fragile fabrics... please follow rinsing and drying info on earlier msg....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM

I have two of these-there were made by my great grandmother and grandmother. I had not the first clue as to how to fix them, and one of my best friends is about to help me tackle it.

Good luck-I feel it is definitely worth the work.

Donna