Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 AM

The very reason I don't enter anything anywhere. I enjoy what I do and I don't need quilt judging criticism.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 AM

Fons and Porter had a show about binding and said if you entend to enter a quilt, sew a strand of yarn in the binding. That makes it full and round.
I think if I were a judge of all the quilts I so anxiously look for on this forum you all would have blue ribbons.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 AM

I was reluctant to let my quilts be judged in the beginning. The judges usually say what is wrong, but not too much on what is right or great. But, the comments after I calmed down and put some time between the first reading and the later reading were helpful to improved what I could improve. I often tend to be a little too non-traditional and so some judges do not have a frame of reference to put my work into a neat category. But, I still have them judged and try to use the comments for constructive improvement. At our last show in Sept 2010, I got a over all show ribbon for my quilting on a small quilt! I could see for use of color, for design (original design) for most anything, but quilting! I have not considered my quilting to be the thing that I do best, but I have been working on it. So, the bottom line is to take what the judges say (if it is helpful toward improvement) ignore comments that do not assist is in improvement and remember that the judges are human and have bias of their own that they bring to do the judging. Also, I have heard that judges are sometimes unsure of what is required by the form that they are asked to fill out with their comments. What seems obvious to the guild when they designed the form may not be so obvious to the judge and they seem compelled to put something in each space.

Georgia on My Mind
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277257[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277204.jpe  
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 AM

We just had our show here as well. I know in the past bindings were always a subject many had comments included in the judges comments. Generally positvie comments will also be there. Your judge sounds like a critical person not someone we would like to be around. Hopefully you will be one that suggests another judge for next years show.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:29 AM

I've never entered anything but have been told some of these groups can be quite cliquish. This from a top name quilter now retired. Have heard this also about a fabulous Garden Competition here. Having said that I have to admit a couple of the girls I use to attend a class with entered quilts in a country show and went quite well. Several firsts and special mentions as well as people's choice.

I believe nice full bindings are of special interests to quilt judges.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
Yes it has happened to me. The judge's were very critical with the hand quilting. It was almost like they had a ruler measuring each stitch. I would like to see the hand stitching on their quilts. Don't lose you self confidence...keep quilting...I would never let anyone do that to me. I love making quilts, and if there is a little mistake or my stitches are off a bit well then I just say.."It's hand made, no two are alike."
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM

In light of the critique, were there other Art quilts that yours actually competed against?
I ask because some small quilt shows don't get enough of some kinds so they are thrown with others.
One show had all art quilts in one catagory. You might think that is fair until I tell you that it did not matter what size it was. A small wall hanging isn't going to over take a queen sized quilt, unless the bigger one is hideous.

Thinking of this, and your critque on binding, you will see perspective of how your quilt was judged. It might still be disappointing to you, but think of ways to improve on your binding and you will see a change in the judging.

Good Luck! And I agree with another, if your avatar is any idea of how you quilt, you make beautiful quilts. :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

After the initial hurt I would try and improve my binding. I would also enter some other shows. I think all negative feedback is no fun. I am sorry that is all they said. The quilt in your avatar looks awesome. Keep going and don't be too discouraged.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Take it as a compliment. Sometimes if the category is full of excellent quilts, the judge needs to eliminate a quilt to narrow down the field. If all the quilts have good workmanship, good design, good quilting but some have better binding, it's a way to find the very best. Should you improve your binding? Yes because it might have been the deciding factor in awarding the ribbons. Good Luck next time and enter it again. A different venue or judge make can make a defference too.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Judi,
It was the Blairsville show. I did not attend because I was in Florida.
I will post pictures of the quilts I entered. I was hoping for some constructive criticism. My friends and family all like my quilts so I thought a small town show might be a good way to start. I do know the binding on the beach quilt is not good. It is the first art quilt I did and I brought the binding over from the backing.
Here are the 3 quilts.

peacock
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277294[/ATTACH]

santa
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277295[/ATTACH]

beach
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277296[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277241.jpe   attachment-277242.jpe   attachment-277243.jpe