Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Vat

I haven't had that to happen to me , but I know judges really like nice bindings, front and back. I have worked really hard to get mine to a 1/4 inch on fron and back and have the binding full. They really want a full binding. Better luck next time, just work harder next time.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM

There are a lot of reasons for people to wish to enter a quilt contest....one is professional validation that can be a selling point. But for me, I validate my own work. I really don't need someone else to do that. Most people do not understand how your creativity has been influenced and have a shallow background in art, design and color at best. Binding does set the quilt off, but it is not the most important part of the quilt. I really can't imagine someone going on and on admiring binding!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 AM

Glassnquilts, Thanks for sharing your heartfelt emotions on the less than favorable side of a show. This mnoth was the first time I even attended any shows. Two in the "big town, and our own guild show in the little town. I worked at our show, before, during and after, but chose not to enter anything, although I had been asked to enter at least one particular quilt. Others, I was advised to enter under the display only category. The person who recommended this reasoned that the judges could be harsh. By having it on display only, critiques could still be had, by experienced quilters and admirers, but without hard feelings. Further reasoning was for experience on my part of show procedures. My first reason for not entering was that I didn't want to bother putting sleeves and extra labels on the quilts. Most were already finished, they are bed quilts, and I don't want to remove the sleeves.

As it turns out, this was also County Fair time. I volunteered to help the coordinator fill up space, by displaying some vintage machines. I was also asked to display machines at the quilt show. There was an Oops, as I didn't realize that the two overlapped. (see my post athttp://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1694.htm#4470024 ) I put most of my available quilts in what turned out to be a one man booth at the fair. The coordinator of the exhibits is the Extension FCS/4-H agent. (FCS degreeded, 4-H by default.) She is also a quilter. She admired and praised my workmanship, so I felt "judged." The biggest complement was when she studied my quilting, then asked if I had a (gesturing with her hands - long arm). I admitted the fact, but explained that I hadn't had it long, and didn't yet consider myself a long arm quilter, and no, I didn't do work for other people. After studying my quilts, and further discussion, she talked me into working a queen size for her. Now that was the highest complement I could get.

Our next show isn't for another couple of years. Perhaps I'll have the fortitude to enter the show, thanks to the vote from the Extension Agent and comments such as I've read on this post. Perhaps there will be many posts on judging criteria by the time show season is over. We could all learn and grow from such treads.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Remember that a judge is only one person's opinion on that day. That same judge might judge it differently on a different day. It is really a great accomplishment to even have the talent to make a quilt good enough to be judged. I'm sure I'll never get there!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM

I have enterd a few quilt shows, in different cities and even in another state. I appreciate constructive criticisum (sorry spelling)but almost always they say something positive about the quilt also. Oh and I never won anything till last year. The quilt I entered won Best In Catagory. Boy was I surprised!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 AM

I used to watch the judging in our county fair for many years, and look at the comments....when I was a quilter wannabe. I am talking about 15 years of being involved with the fair. There was a group of older women that mostly brougt traditional quilts and the ribbons and awards really favored those. They were just too set in their ways. It finally started to shift when the younger quilters started bringing art quilts, but it took a while. With that being said, I know binding or finishing is one of the biggest things that they will examine, and it usually can make or break an award winning quilt.
I would bet your art quilts are gorgeous! Keep improving always and dont get too discouraged. Can we see pictures?
I wanna be an art quilter too!
( I was in Extension for 15 years, but not in FCS area..I was the hortuculturist, so I can definitly tell you what they look for when judging the fruits, flowers and veggies....lol!)
Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 AM

My friend put several of her quilts in our local county fair and the judges were very critical of her binding also! Said she did not "fill" it so don't feel like you are the only one! The quilt that won was not near as pretty to me!!! It's all in the judges eye, we don't have to agree. :wink:
Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 AM

Wow, I just realized I did the binding on my (first) quilt backwards. I machine stitched to the back andhandstitched the front. My stitching doesn't show but I thought "seeing" those even, tiny stitches added appeal to the quilt. Oops. I prefer the look of my method. I have to wonder what it was about your bindings that brought such criticism. Bet they're wonderful quilts!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:04 AM

Let me start out with "I hate to be judged"...that said, it's only the opinion of the judge. It doesn't mean yours was not worthy of a blue ribbon....At the last Fair, I helped the Garden Club clean the area and put out plants to be picked up. There was one plant (Red Ivy) that was wonderful....best plant there. It only got a red ribbon. I told the owner that it should have gotten 2 blue ribbons and that made her very happy. I don't see myself ever entering something to be judged.

Lynn
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 AM

At our recent show the judges were critical of lot of bindings so our guild is offering a "How to sew binding" workshop. Find someone who can teach you how to bind. National Quilter's Association certified judges now accept machine binding as long as it is done well. Pat Sloan may have a tutorial on her website. There may be other tutorials out there too. And remember the judge is only one opinion. They often look at just the detail and miss the big picture. I am all about the big picture!!!