Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-25-2011, 03:36 PM

I used to show livestock and I had champion stock. But at this one show I kept getting put at the end of the line- last! Months later I was visiting with the judge of that show and he made the comment "I didn't know who you were" Thats why he put my animal down- He didn't know who I was!!!!! That should not have made any difference.
I don't know how quilt shows go but I do know there is a lot of politics involved it most types of shows.
Sorry for your experience. Smile and keep trying! You're good.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
Bindings is what all seem to go for. What else can they judge in an art quilt? Impossible to judge someones art. It is just too subjective. Traditional piecing is another thing. They can really pick those apart bit by bit.
Art quilts are judged on the same criteria as traditional quilts...quality of workmanship in binding, stitching, piecing; overall use of color and materials; that kind of thing.

Art quilts are not judged on choice of pattern any more than traditional quilts are. It's all about execution and the choices the quilter made during construction.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM

I have entered shows before. Won some and lost some. All were learning experiences that I wouldn't trade for anything. Take the judges' words to heart -- it is meant as constructive criticism. Learn from it and improve from it. Although the critique may be harsh, we all ask for it by entering our quilts in shows, and shouldn't complain too loudly when we get what we ask for.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 PM

Yes, it is hard to accept criticism. Especially shen we have put a lot of time and love into a project. However, we do get over it, look back, and learn from that experience. I very sorry that you are going through this, but in looking at your avatar, you do beautiful work. So hang in there and continue doing what you love.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

The quilt judges uses for the area fair always checks the binding on the quilt first thing. If the binding is good then they look at the rest of the quilt. Bad binding, it is automatically out of the blue ribbon category.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Don't let a judges comments upset you. Just remember that it is only one persons opinion and the opinion that really counts is yours. If you are happy with your quilts, that is all that matters.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Let me share with you an experience I had years ago, not with quilts but with dogs. I showed dogs for 20 years and always entered AKC shows. At this one show I was so embarrassed because this judge pulled me out of line and put me out front and proceeded to tell the other exhibitors to look at how great my dog was. That THAT was what this breed should look like, blah blah blah...welllllll...she had me go back and join the line and proceeded to give the wins to the OTHER dogs in the ring...WHAT? WHAT? NOW that was humiliation. lol..Actually after we exited the others came up to me and were saying how crazy that was. lol...needless to say I never ever entered under that judge again...go figure
Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by YolandaW
Let me share with you an experience I had years ago, not with quilts but with dogs. I showed dogs for 20 years and always entered AKC shows. At this one show I was so embarrassed because this judge pulled me out of line and put me out front and proceeded to tell the other exhibitors to look at how great my dog was. That THAT was what this breed should look like, blah blah blah...welllllll...she had me go back and join the line and proceeded to give the wins to the OTHER dogs in the ring...WHAT? WHAT? NOW that was humiliation. lol..Actually after we exited the others came up to me and were saying how crazy that was. lol...needless to say I never ever entered under that judge again...go figure
ROFLMAO!

At one show, my breed was first in the ring that day. My male lost to another dog that he'd beaten several times already. Fair enough, everyone has good days and bad days, no one in dogs ever agrees on everything, etc. I've never complained about a loss and I wasn't about to start then.

But as I hung out ringside, I noticed that the judge had each class go in catalog order and he placed in catalog order, too. Out of the six or seven breeds I watched, not once did he deviate from catalog order: first dog in the ring always got first, etc. Just seemed really strange.

Later, a friend of mine who belonged to the club putting on the show called me. She'd been talking to the woman who drove that judge to the show and the woman had thanked her profusely for the club's courtesy to her friend, the judge. It turns out that the judge was losing his eyesight to diabetes and this was probably his last assignment because he wasn't getting any offers (imagine that).

I roared with laughter! My dog really *WAS* judged by a (legally) blind judge!

My boy finished the next day but I think the day before was a lot more memorable. I still giggle out loud when I think of that day.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM

I don't mind constructive criticism but any criticism should be tempered with some kind of praise. You can always find something nice to say no matter what the project. Did they have a suggestion box? Might be worth a try to submit your own construction criticism of their judging comments.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM

A friend of mine entered a quilt at the County Fair. She didn't win a ribbon but wasn't disappointed for that reason; she was disappointed that there was no comment nor critique to let her know what she needed to improve on in the future. I thought that very unprofessional on the judges part :thumbdown: