Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-25-2011, 02:13 PM

they always complain about the binding. in our small town our quilt show is the county fair. only 70 quilts this year and 15 were pannels for baby quilts. binding every time. so, I think it is like everyone said, they had to have something to say.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
Was the judge from this town? Because if s/he is from somewhere else, then that would reflect the values of the somewhere else.

Also, how long did the judge have to judge the entire show? At two minutes per quilt, that would be 6 hours and 40 minutes. That's not a whole lot of time to get an overall view, evaluate design, colour choices, execution, etc, and then make a critique. Since nothing was said about anything but binding, I'd guess that was the only weak point.

In any case, binding is pretty easy to fix. It's easy enough to cut out a bunch of mug rug or potholder sized practise pieces and bind them to perfect your skill.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM

First congratulations for having courage to enter quilts in a show! If you are entering to have quilt judged then you should expect to have criticism. A local quilt show has a non-judging/exibition only catagory to enter quilts that you want to show off but do not want "judged". Perhaps next year you could suggest such a catagory for those of us who are too nervous to enter for real. Good luck next time.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

sometimes Judges can be too judgemental!!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
I entered three of my art quilts in a local small town show. There were 200 quilts and I did not expect to win, but the judge's comments were very critical of my binding. Very little was even said about the quilts themselves. I know it is a small town and maybe more traditional but it has really hurt my self confidence in my quilting. Anyone else had this experience.
Bear in mind that quite possibly the judge was a buddy of the quilt show chair and not in the least qualified. One year at a local 4-H fair the Home Ec clubs hired a "friend" to judge. She gave a cheater cloth quilted pillow a purple ribbon and something less to a carefully pieced and quilted pillow that was not quite as "pretty at first glance"
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I have never entered one but hte local guild talks all the time about the judges marking off points if their binding does not have batting in it. Sounds like the judges loved your quilts but maybe wanted batting in the binding. We all like recognition for those we deem experts. I'm not but I still thin k you probably did an amazing job.
batting in the binding? Do you mean just that the binding needs to be OVER the quilt bat? Surely you don't mean batting added to the binding?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Wow - I SO did not know the binding being a big deal when being judged. I haven't ever entered any though. And that might explain some of the quilt shows I've been to, when I see a quilt with the blue ribbon and I feel another in that category was way more qualified for the ribbon.

And just a thought - perhaps there was another quilt that was equally done and they had to come up with something to set the two apart? Maybe it came down to the binding.

I'm sure the quilt is a winner!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Binding can make or break a quilt in competition, no matter where it is. Learn to take Judge's Comments as critique, not criticism, and learn from it. You will only grow if you can do that.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:30 PM

Bindings is what all seem to go for. What else can they judge in an art quilt? Impossible to judge someones art. It is just too subjective. Traditional piecing is another thing. They can really pick those apart bit by bit.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Don't let it upset you. You said yourself that it's a small town. Maybe small town politics had some say in who won. Happens here ALL the time.
Mimi Dietrich has a great book on bindings called "Happy Endings". It really helped me improve.
I agree about Happy Endings. Its my edgings bible. I dont think it is being published any longer. Not sure. Its a keeper!