Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM

i get that all the time on my art pieces. i really think that the judges don't know how to judge art quilts. they look at them as regular bed quilts not art. Don't stop and keep on going, I'm not :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM

Judges are just people who have their own ideas of what is right and wrong even when they have rules to go by. Anything you enter to be judged can have the same thing happen and it does.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 AM

I hope they gave you ways to "fix" binding. I would never have courage to enter contest lol My binding skills need alot of help so if they start there I would be in alot of trouble lol

Keep your chin up and continue on. I am sure your quilt was great!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 AM

quilt police. I'm sure your quilts were beautiful-don't let them undermine your confidence-I would get zip at a show because my mitered corners are not up to quilt police standards-who cares!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 AM

I enter pur guild quilt show almost every year. We get a juddge from National Quilt Association. The judge is always picky about bindings. I went to help at judging this year. She said she could tell that we have been told before about our bindings. The corners where you miter needs to be 90 degrees, a nice square corner. Even tough I have heard that straiht of grain binding is ok if you don't have curves it wasn't ok with this judge. She wanted bias binding. The corners should have a stitch in the to hold the little flap shut on the front and back. She checked ever quilt for that. Another thing she didn't want the back to have one seam down the middle. She said it is too much stress on the seam. Make two xams if you back isn't one piece. I learned a lot by going to judging.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 AM

I looked at your quilts at the link you provided and let me just say, I hope to someday be half as talented as you are! Jamie
Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 AM

The judge we had for our show said that if the binding isn't full she will cut small strips of batting to add in when she is hand stitching down to the back of quilt. She said that the edge of the quilt will last longer if it is full and round. I would never take the time to do that but, that is what she said.
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I have never entered one but hte local guild talks all the time about the judges marking off points if their binding does not have batting in it. Sounds like the judges loved your quilts but maybe wanted batting in the binding. We all like recognition for those we deem experts. I'm not but I still thin k you probably did an amazing job.
batting in the binding? Do you mean just that the binding needs to be OVER the quilt bat? Surely you don't mean batting added to the binding?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
they judges want you binding to be filled and not lumpy or wavey. IF after its finished and needs to be filled you can take a needle with yard to help fil the spots you think need it.
Oh Wow, another of those little quilting secrets. I'd have never thought of that.....lol so cool! ! !
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 AM

I entered everything that came down the pike if it concerned one of my interests. Horse shows, dog shows, bird shows, County and State fairs (for needlework and plants), judged quilt shows, etc.. I value the comments from the judges as it helps me become a better "whatever". Occasionally a judge will really mess up but because I know my chosen fields well I can smile and still feel good even though the comments might sting bigtime. If all they commented on was the binding, that is what you should concentrate on. Don't let one set of opinions color your world - but - do learn from it!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 AM

You could show us a picture and we could make all kinds of nice comments!!