Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!! >

FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!!

FINALLY!! A thrft shop score for me!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM

EQ5 where you can design quilts in whatever color or size on the computer. Usually costs around 200.00 here. You got a great deal. maybe you can plan on making some small thing for your family members with this and make next year. Bless you.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I love that auction idea - I bet I know some DGKs who would LOVE to print the family 'money'. Wouldn't it be fun to re-use the money the next year?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM

I am so happy for you!!! It was meant for you to have it! One of my dear missionary friends did not have funds to buy presents for her family last year--her 4 adult children and 5 grandchildren. She decided to give them the gift of her words by writing a special letter telling each one what they meant to her, ways they were special etc. I feel sure that gift was the most special one they received, and will remain so through the years after most monetary gifts are gone and forgotten. This year our church sent her extra funds just to buy presents, but I'm sure her family still treasures what she gave last year. Enjoy your Electric EQ and have a blessed Christmas!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Why not just make them something. My husband and I know what you mean. Frankly a warm pair of socks, gloves whatever is a nice gift.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Wow great find Val!!! I'm so happy for you!

I haven't read all the posts but with our adult kids the stories they recount of their childhood have never been about 'things' or Christmas gifts it has always been about our times together as a family.

Our culture seems to have lost the simplicity of relationships based on love and joy of being family or friendships. The advertising firms have convinced the masses that love and ideal family relationships is directly linked to what monetary gifts are given. Patooie! Just love those kids and grand-kids....
I guarantee you won't find any epitaphs on tombstones saying Grandma gave great gifts.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Whooo Hoooo.... Congratulations! I am very happy for you.

It sounds like you will have an interesting challenge this year of making Christmas special without spending money. My husband and I enjoy challenges like that. In our 31 years together, we have tried to make Christmas about family and dong for each other rather than about the expense of a gift. We have given each other coupons for back rubs, apple pies (wrapped in the sunday comic section of the newspaper) and other things to make the other one feel special. (laughing....I've thought about giving him a whole day with the remote...but we haven't had to get that desperate.) We do have some money for buying presents for each other this year and we sat down and discussed what we would buy. We are spending the same amount of money on each other. Part of his gift from me will be metal fence posts for this next spring when he pus up fencing for his next field. He doesn't know it but I'm going to make him an arm-chair caddy for his remotes, glasses and pens.

We do have adult children and we hope that they will get here for Christmas, but we've always tried to teach them that Christmas is more about being kind and caring for each other than it is about opening wonderful gifts.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Fabulous. It was meant to be. Everyone needs a special surprise.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Due to limited income and a LOT of grand and great grand kids I have had to stop sending gifts. That includes b'day. They all understand. I do try and get cards or at least on line greetings out to them in a timely manner. The letter suggestion is good. I am trying to do some quilting projects this year for those I am closest to, using things that friends and neighbors have given me when they found out I was quilting. Just started this year. WE are also doing some baking and making jelly as gifts. Between me and my friends we have agreed any gift has to be handmade. So don't feel bad as others have said, time is a great gift to give. Merry Christmas, or what ever holiday you celebrate.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:10 AM

what a find! congrats!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
We decided several years ago to not give gifts in our family. I know that none of us would change that now and the grands never knew about it anyway as they were very young then. I cannot tell you the pressure that went out of the Christmas season with that decision. I don't think it's wrong at all to buy and give gifts. I always looked forward to it as a child, but I had so few of "things" then! My dad tells about never owning a new pair of shoes and maybe getting an orange and a piece of candy for Christmas and the anticipation and joy it brought!! We don't live in those days and have many blessings today! Our family likes to get together and maybe even spend the night at our home and play games and snack on goodies-tiring for Grandpa and Grandma-but the kiddie's eyes gleam in anticipation!! It's about love, as many of you are sharing. Merry Christmas to everyone!
Wow reading your post just made me tear up, as many other posts have done. What a wonderful group of encouraging wonderful women/men visit this forum.

Jillnjo....your post reminded me of my Mother telling of her Christmas' as young girl...my Mom was born in 1914...she too said the BIG treat for she and her brothers was getting an orange and candy...No toys ~ times were tough on that central Ohio farm ~ But Mom said she never felt deprived. Chores still needed to be done even though it was Christmas. Mom is gone now ....

We are a blessed nation compared to so many who live on this planet. Indeed Merry Christmas to everyone!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.