Acceptable or tacky?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 PM

It is tacky; but accept it graciously and enjoy it. She should have at least been quiet about what they did...no class at all lol.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Over the years I have gifted many books to people that I have read, bought them at yard sales, goodwill, salvation army, library sales, etc. My DMIL and I loved a number of authors and was delighted when one of us found a new one we had not read and shared it. Bought a lot of the quilting books, read them and gifted them to others who wanted to read them. Reading is for sharing. Would never regift personal items, but have never hesitated in sharing books, dishes, fabric, etc. that I will never use, or know that person likes them and I will never use them. Guess I never thought I was being tacky, just happy someone could enjoy something that was given.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:46 AM

I guess I have a very different attitude about gifts than most people out there. I believe it's the thought that counts. If I see a book or item in a thrift store that seems perfect for one of my friends, then I will get it and gift it to them if it's in good shape. The book is not diminished by having been read before; the item not tarnished by being held in other hands. Would I open a new DVD or CD to view before gifting it, no, I don't think so. But I might add a note saying the gift includes time together to watch the movie and I'll bring the popcorn. LOL.
If someone gifted me something tacky, I would not insult them about it. Harsh words can never be taken back once spoken. My choice when participating in gift exchanges is that if I can't afford to meet the standard set, I opt out. It is frustrating when you participate and get something that does not meet the standard set, however, such is the nature of gift exchanges. It is always a chance you take. Meanness of spirit will not correct the imbalance nor make you feel better about receiving a tacky gift. But thinking about it sometimes makes you feel better, lol. Hugssssss and smilesssss
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Of course! If you give it to them now, they can't fight over it when you are gone!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM

You're right, but I still think about it occasionally...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM

BallyBoo has the right idea. I buy 2nd hand books all the time and do swap out with friends but never, never, would I give them as a gift. What you got was a secondhand book. Tacky in the extreme.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM

don't worry about it. It will probably mean that the recipients of her gifts think that she only gives used items and therefore will not worry too much when they buy her a gift. I have a friend who does a very similar thing, I use to always buy her a nice expensive gift (her birthday is Christmas day) for birthday and Christmas but then was always dissappointed with her 'secondhand' present, I now only give a small token gift. I think she has got the message as her presents to me now new and still in their wrapping.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have started reading the book and when I done I'll give it back to her and say I'm finished reading the book, you may know someone that didn't get a chance to read it before you gave it to me. Yeah, I'm that type of person! LOL
Funny idea. I'd love to hear what she says when you give it back to her. LOL.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM

I find it tacky!!! I understand that times are tough but if she could not afford to buy a gift or make you something then she should have backed out of the exchange. IMHO if you buy a gift for someone then use it, read it first, watch it first etc..... then it is not a gift but merely a used item. As it does not sound like it was a "recycle" themed exchange then her actions are in poor taste at best-

I would have given it back to her and said perhaps someone else in your family would like to read it as well-Merry Christmas!!!! I do not like gift exchanges and if I "have to do them" I ask that the person who gets my name make a donation to Toys for Tots.............
Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Tacky, I would never dream of reading a book before I gave it. I might ask if I could read it after, but not before. Tacky, tacky, tacky.