Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Teacher vs Quilt Police >
  • Teacher vs Quilt Police

• Teacher vs Quilt Police

Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM

another thought, maybe she is getting more nitpicky because you have honed your skills a good bit without realizing it?
    Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by nycquilter
    another thought, maybe she is getting more nitpicky because you have honed your skills a good bit without realizing it?
    Good (and positive) thought!
    Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 PM

oooh a intolerant of other peoples quilting kinda teacher..i will be teaching my first quilting class late this summer when it is too hot to be outside...i will remember this and try to not be this way....besides, i do a lot of things "differently" and look forward to teaching others who have trouble "getting it".
    Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 PM

I don't take a harsh teacher in a negative way. Mind you I went to elem school with nuns who would wack us when we made a mistake. I learn probably more with the quilt police but the average person does not like it to much. When I teach kids or adults quilting I'm not the sergent or quilt police. Most all of us learn better with some praise and kind correction. find a new teacher if your not happy
    Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey
    I've been working with an instructor to "hone my skills". I'm probably being too sensitive but seems like she is turning into the quilt police. Every little oops she is sure to point out and only criticizes and is not very encouraging.
    I'm not a newbie to quilting and appreciate constructive advise. What do you think?
    She reminds me of a piano I had in 9th grade. Kept me on one song for an ENTIRE school year because I wouldn't or couldn't count correctly. I can still see the music if I just close my eyes! Don't let her get the best of you - isn't quilting something we enjoy? Name of the song? "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen"!!!! Enjoy yourself. It's your quilt.
    Old 04-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Have you spoken to her about this? Pehaps you need to define your own expectations. I would let her know what makes the best learning environment for you. Don't let one bad experience hamper your desire to learn! Be sure so let us know how it goes for you. Happy Qulting!
    Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 AM

I am a hobby quilter. I don't put any project in a show that will be "judged". Not interested in competing, frankly. My hot air balloon quilt won "viewers choice" in a small show last spring. I was thrilled. But it was not "quilt police" worthy, IMHO and I don't care. I have fun with my projects, they make me happy.

Sandy
    Old 09-17-2014, 04:49 AM
    Power Poster

If you don't know you made the mistake why be upset if she points it out? If you did know it was a mistake why not correct it before examination? If you are okay with minor mistakes then why get upset with the teacher?
    If I ask for an opinion or someone is teaching me something new I want to know everything that I'm not doing right. I never get upset over anyone's opinion of anything I do in quilting, right, wrong, or stupid as it may be to them.
    Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
    I've been working with an instructor to "hone my skills". I'm probably being too sensitive but seems like she is turning into the quilt police. Every little oops she is sure to point out and only criticizes and is not very encouraging.
    I'm not a newbie to quilting and appreciate constructive advise. What do you think?
    Does she offer a better solution if you make an "OOPS"? Or is it "you have to do it this way"
    Old 09-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates
    I don't take a harsh teacher in a negative way. Mind you I went to elem school with nuns who would wack us when we made a mistake. I learn probably more with the quilt police but the average person does not like it to much. When I teach kids or adults quilting I'm not the sergent or quilt police. Most all of us learn better with some praise and kind correction. find a new teacher if your not happy

Spent 8 years with nuns as teachers---------never whacked me or anyone else. Not even Mike and John and Carl. And they'd try God's patience.