Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Muslin As Quilt Backing? >

Muslin As Quilt Backing?

Muslin As Quilt Backing?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Hey Krystyna, I was in Ethan Allen a while back and they had a quilt made of muslin...front and back. It was $900.00 and it was made with yo-yos. The maker had made it by putting the front and back together with batting inside..covered it with yo-yo's all done in beiges..some stripped, some floral, some solids. The yo-yos were stitched down on the top side through the back and that made the quilting. It was really stunning. I am thinking of doing one and if I do I am going to try the batting that is "iron-on"...I have wanted to give it a try but was a bit afraid to do it.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I used muslin on my teen DGKs quilts last summer. they love them. they like to look at the quilting from the back. now, the quilting wasn't that great, but they love it and that's what counts. i'm also using muslin as the background on one of my Dear Jane quilts. if you think you'll never use up all of that muslin, you can try trading or selling it here on the QB
WHAT? "on ONE of your Dear Jane quilts"? I really would love to make one of those but still haven't gotten the nerve to do it...your comment gives me hope. Is there really someone who would make more than one????
Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 PM

You can also give your muslin backing a great look by simply dying it to match your projects. Dye comes in easy to use liquids now and you can go for solid, tye dye, streaky, twisted and lots of other looks.
Another great look is the tea/coffee dyed one that I love. Muslin is easy to dye in the washing machine or outside in a tub or bucket when cut to size. Do allow extra for shrinkage tho. Tea and coffee dying can be done right in the kitchen sink. There are lots of natural dye plants if you want to play with them; onion skins are another fun one. Check out books at the library on it. Muslin is a great fabric for all of these methods.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM

I would definitely use it for backing and piecing. It works great.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Does anyone still use muslin for quilt backing? A couple of years ago my husband and I went to a quilter's estate sale and among the many treasures we purchased two 50 yard bolts of muslin - one heavy weight and the other mid-weight - for $10 each! Since they were in my attic, they were among the few things that didn't get destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. I've been using it to piece small wall quilts and might use it as a back for placemats, but wonder if using it as a quilt backing is ridiculous. Any thoughts? The fellow we purchased it from said, "No one uses that any more ..."
Yes I do it makes the quilts softer on the back not as soft as flannel but very soft indeed.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Not all muslin is created equal. Some has a really large amount of shrinkage... and some never even gets close to lying flat without alot of steam and a good hot iron. Take a piece, measure it , and launder it prior to use.
I use muslin alot for backings and have come to know which ones are better, in your case you don't know much about the manfuacture or even what year it was produced ... TEST!
Wow Great advise thanks!!! I do so agree
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

I am almost finished hand quilting one that I used muslin for backing. It is nice to quilt through and will use it again. I am also going to use some to make a cathredral window quilt.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM

I must say it is my very favorite for backings. I love how it shows off the quilting and how nice and soft it makes the quilts.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM

I use muslin all the time for the backs as well as piecing on the front. Enjoy your 2 bolts.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM

I use it because it shows off my quilting!