Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Went to Obie's today, oh my goodness!! >

Went to Obie's today, oh my goodness!!

Went to Obie's today, oh my goodness!!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Color me green with envy. Would love to see the shop in person because it looks like fun.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

OMG and WOW - How do they know what they have in stock? It looks like you could find anything you wanted if you were willing to stay there and look for it. Absolutely amazing - I've never seen anything like it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I would love to visit that shop someday! Just for the experience.

Connie
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I can't go in there because of my claustrophobia. It is amazing how much is in that little store. Scary to me as a retired insurance person.
I wonder if they have fire inspections by the local fire department? I used to own used book stores and believe me, the fire department is your friend if you want to survive and emergency.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM

That place looks scary....you say you have to tell her what you are looking for and she retrieves it.....how strange....the fun, for me, is "touching" and unfurling a bolt or two....now that is a place for "American pickets". Or maybe a group should form called "fabric pickers". I would watch that..........
Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Yah, you really can't "browse". She is quick to ask what in particular you are looking for.

You also have to remember that this is out in Amish country where most people have the same last name. There is a fire department just down the street on the other side. I am sure fire laws, etc. are very slack out there. Her sister is a fabric buyer, so you know how that works. I am sure a lot of that fabric has dry rot at the folds from all the years it has been just sitting there, not being rotated. Back when I worked at Joann's part of my job was going around and looking for fabric that had been there without being sold, and seeing that it got reduced in price to make way for new and fresh fabric. Every time I drive by, I feel sad that all that beautiful fabric is just going to waste. So many wonderful projects could be completed with it. And there are so many needy people in the world who would love to have a quilt made out of that fabric. But just down the road is an outlet that has great deals on quilting fabric, and you aren't in danger when you walk in. And further down the road is Good's and Family Farm Fabrics who have even better prices on their Moda lines. Why shop in a fire trap, when you can drive just a couple miles and browse without fearing for your life?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM

I lived about a mile from there for 6yrs and went in there once. OMG what a mess. I never went back. Stuff didn't even look clean. . . and I am not a fussy neat-freak.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM

So how was the fabric priced? Did you buys some or a lot?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
My suggestion would be...if you are larger than a size 10, don't even think of trying to go in there, you would get stuck. There is no browsing in there. You just stand there and look and tell her what you have in mind, and she will pull it out for you....no easy task. It smells, and the floor sags. I have allergies, so never again for me. There is an upstairs too, that sells handmade crafts. Was afraid to climb the rickety stairs. Talk about Hoarders, Buried Alive....
And as far as prices, they are about the same as everywhere else in the area. If she would have a parking lot sale, and sell fabric for $5 a yard, she could become a millionaire and afford to build a new store.
I have to agree with this completely. I am a size 10 and have to negotiate most aisles sideways.

One entire wall of fabric actually did fall about a year ago. I was in the store shortly after and all those bolts were stacked in the aisle so you couldn't even go there. I'm not sure that anyone was in the store when it toppled and pulled the shelves off the wall.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

not sure I would want to go there, seems too clustered and disorganized. I would have to take double meds to tackle this store.